Forums are back in action! ×

My husband says i'm going to hurt myself.

It's a legit exercise but reasonably advanced. Most people can't pull it off without any external resistance. I would probably stick to standard power stuff, other forms of plyo ect before worrying about something like this.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Oooof, yeah I've seen this mentioned a few times as power exercise for advanced competition weight lifters. Builds an insane amount of explosive power which can be used for heavier squats and oly lifts.

I'd say at the level you are at it's gonna cause hurtiness. But that doesn't mean you can't try it without the weights. :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Plyometrics, running, jumping, skipping, throwing.. explosive stuff. The fast lifts (push pressed, & other Olympic lift variants) to a certain extent can be considered plyo.

The question is, what's the goal?

Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Guest guest4729

That...that is hardcore. I don't even think I could do that WITHOUT a weight. Perhaps you can start there and slowly add on the bar if you're REALLY serious about doing it? Otherwise I'd be super careful because this looks like something that could easily cause injury if done improperly.

Yeah, I foresee bar on neck if I try this.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Just tried it...Ow.... make sure you stretch first. Not happening with my shoes on, maybe once I change to the Vibrams and stretch.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Just tried it...Ow.... make sure you stretch first. Not happening with my shoes on, maybe once I change to the Vibrams and stretch.

lmao!!! we are alike. I swear, If I was the only one in the office, I would have tried this. AND I have my bitch boots on today. that would have been hot.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

lmao!!! we are alike. I swear, If I was the only one in the office, I would have tried this. AND I have my bitch boots on today. that would have been hot.

There's someone 1 cube over and I'm surprised they didn't ask what the F I was doing. I almost made it, didn't get enough air to clear the clunky shoes. Should get it once I'm warmed up.

500 / 330 / 625

I want to try it without weight. What is the goal? to see if I can. that's almost always the goal.

As valid a goal as any.

Yeah without load and especially on carpet this thing isn't the most dangerous thing you're likely to do on a given day. I've done them in the past and now I'm wondering how much I can do. I should probably make sure I've got my insurance card with me before I start my workout.

Hey y'all watch this..

we do this in karate all the time, getting up from a kneeling position. it's not that hard if your legs are reasonably strong, this being without the barbell of course.

i'd say the danger is if you land with the barbell in the fully flexed bottom-of-the-squat position because you can't jump that high, then your joint has no give to bear the load. At best you hyperextend your knee, at worst you blow it out...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Tried it, wasn't that bad. I think I could get it with at least just the bar. It could definitely be a good workout for your posterior chain, it felt like the same motion I do when doing kettle bell swings. Video attached cuz I got video happy today. Took Video of my squats and deadlift as well, gonna post them on my blog now.

500 / 330 / 625

pretty sure that Zuzanah Light of body rock TV did this in a number of the older routines but of course just as a body weight exercise and I can't for the life of me remember what she called it but when I saw her do it I was like--um, no..

if you have ever had any knee or ankle ligament or tendon issues this is not for you. If you have always had strong knees and you are good at as they say plyo moves then try it. You could probably do it first holding onto a bar for support just to get the movement right.

I like the goal of doing something just to see if you can, its how I kicked myself straight in the face in ballet class....LOL

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I wouldn't say if you EVER had knee issues don't do it, just recently. I had bad knees after the pounding they took in high school football but they healed up after a few years of low impact.

500 / 330 / 625

Ok corey, you called me on the one thing I tell people not to do...never say NEVER or ALWAYS LOL sorry--you are right, my point was if you have weak knees....you get it.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Corey, good job on your video... you da man...

if you go to the 10 second mark of this video, you'll see a much more difficult technique called the recumbent chain whip. in essence you sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you and you kip up off the floor enough to clear the chain whip using no hands or arms. try it using a jumprope or anything you can slide under your entire body:

this video shows a friend of mine, john su who is a world champion hard okinawan and wushu forms competitor on team paul mitchell karate. he does the recumbent chain whip technique at 1:27 in this video. the whole form is worth watching. he's an amazing athlete:

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Guest guest4729

this video shows a friend of mine, john su who is a world champion hard okinawan and wushu forms competitor on team paul mitchell karate. he does the recumbent chain whip technique at 1:27 in this video. the whole form is worth watching. he's an amazing athlete:

That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Wow. I am SUPER impressed by his skill.

I didn't see it the first time, but ken leung at 1:15 of the first video does the recumbent chain whip not seated but lying down, and is able to whip the chain underneath his entire body. Now lie down flat on the ground and try to kip up enough to slide anything under your entire body without using your hands and arms or getting up...