Forums are back in action! ×

Correct Push Up Form?

Fellow Rebels, I have a question...

Lately, I've been working on my push ups (because I'm pretty terrible at them in general, haha). But I've been looking at pictures and videos of people doing them, and there's one thing I can't figure out:

Where are my arms supposed to be when they're bent (at the lowest part of the push up)? Close to my sides, or sticking out more? Does it matter?

I notice when I try different arm angles that different muscles are used, but I can't tell what's good and not good because I don't have a lot of experience with arm strength exercises.

I'd love to hear about your personal experiences/knowledge/opinions/ideas on this subject, as I'd like to know I'm working on the correct form.

Much thanks! :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

I notice when I try different arm angles that different muscles are used

Closer to the body uses more of your arm muscles, more flared out uses more of your chest. I do closer to the body because I know my arms need work. I can do about 5-8 more with them flared though.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

@ CoreyD - That makes so much sense. Thanks for the input!

@ Loren - Actually it is surprising, because somehow I totally missed that article. So much for being on top of things, haha. :tongue: Thanks for pointing it out to me!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Couple of tips:

Don't bounce at the bottom, pause for a second. Arms excessively wide isn't good for your shoulders, when looked at from above your form should look like an arrow (↑), not a tee (T). Slow and steady is a better workout than fast. Doesn't matter how many you can do, doing good ones is the important part.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Couple of tips:

Don't bounce at the bottom, pause for a second. Arms excessively wide isn't good for your shoulders, when looked at from above your form should look like an arrow (↑), not a tee (T). Slow and steady is a better workout than fast. Doesn't matter how many you can do, doing good ones is the important part.

Agreed, get more power out of the bottom when you're arms/body look like an arrow. Gotta love that leverage.

The position of the arms doesn't matter much. Just do what you feel comfortable with, although looking like an arrow (as described above) certainly gives you a bit more leverage.

Also, I think elbows wide isn't too good for your shoulders if you haven't trained them to do so. I don't see much wrong with wide-grip pushups.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.