Forums are back in action! ×

Hard Time Figuring Out Correct Reps

I'm just starting out on full body lifting (squats, dead lifts, bench press, overhead press) and I'm having kind of a tough time figuring out how many reps and set I should be doing.

According to the Beginning Workout, if I'm doing "moderate" weight I should be doing 8-12 reps with 4 sets. For squats and dead lifts, I can do 10-12 reps of 4 sets pretty comfortably with the weight I've selected.

But bench press and over head press I'm having some difficulty deciding. I try to aim for 10 reps and 3 sets, since I'm doing slightly heavier weights (I'm not sure of a lighter option since I'm already benching the bar with no weights, and I don't have the strength to do more than about 4 pushups at a time. I know, my upper body sucks.) I can manage the 1st set without any issue, but each subsequent set I have to go down in reps. So 1st set: 10. 2nd set: 8. 3rd set: 7. I try to push through it, but my body literally gives out.

Should I scale it down to only do 8 reps of 3 sets? Thoughts? Thank you!

"Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself." -Mark Twain

Hey Rebound,

You could try... If you're using the full sized Olympic bar that weighs 20 kilos (45ish pounds) maybe get yourself some dumbbells slightly lighter than that for the first week of bench press. So Grabbing 2x 20 pound weights or lighter if necessary.

Doing the bench with dumbbells will also increase the strength in your stablising muscles as well which is a mega bonus! *ching ching ching*

Keep it up mate.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Rep ranges depend on your goals

1-5 -> Strength

6-12 -> Muscle growth (strength gains too on the lower end, endurance gains on the higher end)

13+ -> Endurance

Most people lifting for fitness and to look better naked will probably want to be in the 5-8 reps area as you get both strength and size benefits.

One thing for full body workouts, unless you are targeting something in particular, rotate the order you do things from session to session.

Another concept to keep in mind when full body lifting, you need to have something in the tank for everything. I personally use a timer and don't worry about the number of sets, as I get in better shape I'll be able to squeeze in more sets. When I first began I had 35 minutes of petal to the metal gas. Now it is up to 45 minutes and I figure it will stay here a long time.

You are missing an upper body pull exercise. Upright rows, bent over rows, inverse rows, and chin-ups/pull-ups all fit the bill for a full body workout. Upper body pull exercises work the lats, biceps, and forearms (grip).

Why not do pushups instead of bench? You get a core workout at the same time. Improving your pushups should improve your bench. There isn't really a need to switch to a bench until pushups get too easy for your rep range (even then, you can always make the pushup harder).

It is normal to go down in reps, especially if you are lifting to failure instead of following a program like 5x5. It is a sign that you are working hard enough and there is nothing wrong with it.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

1-5 -> Strength

6-12 -> Muscle growth (strength gains too on the lower end, endurance gains on the higher end)

13+ -> Endurance

Most people lifting for fitness and to look better naked will probably want to be in the 5-8 reps area as you get both strength and size benefits.

One thing for full body workouts, unless you are targeting something in particular, rotate the order you do things from session to session.

Another concept to keep in mind when full body lifting, you need to have something in the tank for everything. I personally use a timer and don't worry about the number of sets, as I get in better shape I'll be able to squeeze in more sets. When I first began I had 35 minutes of petal to the metal gas. Now it is up to 45 minutes and I figure it will stay here a long time.

You are missing an upper body pull exercise. Upright rows, bent over rows, inverse rows, and chin-ups/pull-ups all fit the bill for a full body workout. Upper body pull exercises work the lats, biceps, and forearms (grip).

Why not do pushups instead of bench? You get a core workout at the same time. Improving your pushups should improve your bench. There isn't really a need to switch to a bench until pushups get too easy for your rep range (even then, you can always make the pushup harder).

It is normal to go down in reps, especially if you are lifting to failure instead of following a program like 5x5. It is a sign that you are working hard enough and there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm following the Beginner Workout plan.... Sunday: overhead press, squats, dumb bell row. Tuesday: lat pull down (can't do even negative pull-ups yet, GAH), dead lifts, bench press.

I've done push-ups for years in martial arts (to give you a rough idea, I've been doing it for 4 years, I go to about 2 classes a week and we're instructed to do 20-30 a class on top of doing them knuckle-style for punishment) and I STILL suck at them. It's partially why I'm choosing bench press for a while, to see if I can build up to doing better push-ups so I can start reinforcing one with the other. (I really like the idea of doing dumb bells, thanks Pat!)

I'm glad that I'm lifting to failure and that's all right. I was afraid it was a bad thing, but it means I can work it harder next time right?

"Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself." -Mark Twain

I'm glad that I'm lifting to failure and that's all right. I was afraid it was a bad thing, but it means I can work it harder next time right?

Lifting to complete muscle failure...no. But lifting to the point where your form starts to break down and you can't move the bar/your body as fast...yes.

Also, in your original post, I think you're on the right track with doing less reps for each subsequent set. Each workout you should be able to add at least one more rep and soon enough you'll be able to hit the prescribed 3x10. Either way keep it up, this is a process and not an overnight delivery.

1-5 -> Strength

13+ -> Endurance

I agree with the rep ranges for what they do. I would not recommend changing the order you do lifts in though as it will become harder to track progress. For example, squats will be easier if done first and more difficult if done last. Weight progression won't happen as smoothly because you won't know if you can't do a weight because its too much weight or because you are more fatigued by doing it later in the workout.

I'd recommend picking one of those rep ranges that meets what your goals and start at a weight that you can complete all the sets at. Then, each time you are able to complete all sets, increase the weight 5 lbs or so on the next workout.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I agree with the rep ranges for what they do. I would not recommend changing the order you do lifts in though as it will become harder to track progress. For example, squats will be easier if done first and more difficult if done last. Weight progression won't happen as smoothly because you won't know if you can't do a weight because its too much weight or because you are more fatigued by doing it later in the workout.

When you only full body workout though if you do legs last always your legs will get disproportionally weaker over time. Rotating the order allows gives each exercise type equal attention. It is still possible to track progress, it just takes a little more effort as you have to track it against its place in the order and the last time you did it instead of only the last time you did it. Most lifting info out there comes from a split days POV, when lifting full body you have to do some unconverntional things to maximize the benefit.

currently cutting

don't panic!

When you only full body workout though if you do legs last always your legs will get disproportionally weaker over time. Rotating the order allows gives each exercise type equal attention. It is still possible to track progress, it just takes a little more effort as you have to track it against its place in the order and the last time you did it instead of only the last time you did it. Most lifting info out there comes from a split days POV, when lifting full body you have to do some unconverntional things to maximize the benefit.

I've never considered this, but couldn't you just rotate every 4-6 weeks? That way you can track progress better and still rotate occasionally.

I've never considered this, but couldn't you just rotate every 4-6 weeks? That way you can track progress better and still rotate occasionally.

This would probably work.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm sure you could.

To make tracking easier what I do is split all exercises into 6 main types (legs, core, push horizontal, push vertical, pull, wildcard), and from there split those types into 3 groups with 2 unrelated exercises per group going back and forth with each set to keep the tempo up (not nearly as feasible in a gym), thus there are only 3 potential positions for an exercise making it relatively easy to track progress. I did stop rotating for a bit right now because I'm focused on doing pistol squats and a working number of pullups, once I can do those I plan to get back to regular rotation.

currently cutting

don't panic!