Forums are back in action! ×

About Me

My name is Chris and I live in central Connecticut.  My wife Tanya and I have been married since 2006 and our son Linus will be 7 at the end of March.  I have a greater than average but less than some knowledge of Ghostbusters but, also have a lot of other random knowledge regarding movies in general.  I'm a corporate training analyst, content creator, an occasional gamer, and like taking on random geeky projects at times.  I like karaoke and am slowly building a library of karaoke tracks for fun.  I've also been subscribed to the Nerd Fitness email list for some time but, never thought to sign up here for some reason.  The book launch drew me here, and yes, I have pre-ordered it!

Currently 32 years old, around 133lbs, 5'9" and have a lean body type.  *skinny basically

My Current Goals

I recently got a Pivotal Living activity band and have set some very simple daily goals up for myself.

• 6.5 Hours of Sleep
  • 10k+ steps
  • At least 67 oz of water consumed

Overall, I have been fairly successful at keeping to these fairly consistently.  I figured I should start (again) fairly simply.  I'm not above running back and forth in my basement while watching TV to get my steps/jogging/running in.

The Baggage

Yes, everyone comes with baggage and, as part of the Rebellion, I hope to figure out strategies to "hack my source code" and get over my baggage.  Generally speaking, I have a hard time completing things or knowing where to go.  While I have completed several 60-day workout programs, afterwards I tend to be left with a "now what?" kind of feeling, and any progress I had made during the 60 days is quickly lost as I slip back into an apathetic coma.

Staying motivated to stay fit, eat right, and to be the best person I can is a challenge.  If I am an object at rest, I follow Netwon's laws in that regard pretty closely.  Sadly, this also applies to goals of better pursuing my faith life and also becoming an all around better husband and father.

So my largest internal hurdles are currently laziness, lack of consistent motivation, and a general lack of caring around bettering myself physically, spiritually, and mentally/emotionally.

What Exercise I Like

I do enjoy running/jogging, hiking, have a pull-up bar I occasionally use, and wouldn't mind biking or swimming.  How often I do these activities is a different story.  I do have some dumbells/weights and such.  They aren't fancy but, they will work once I develop a plan to include them in my fitness goals.

The Superhero Me

I'm not quite sure what I'd look like as a superhero quite yet.  I will say I am fond of both Deadpool and Peter Quill.  I tend to be a big talker with a "dad" sense of humor.  Although, I'd love to have their quick wit and confidence.  I see myself more as an independent agent for the good, rather than being part of a superhero team. (minus the Rebellion, of course)  I see the superhero me being fast and strong but, also a bit cyncial and fun.  I, like Deadpool, also know when I am in a movie, comic book, or work of fiction with an audience and have no issues breaking the 4th, 5th, or whatever wall there is.

I imaging the superhero me being good at hand to hand combat, even if I'm not.  Generally though super speed, super strength, the ability to stay calm and collected under any stressful situation, and a fierce love, desire to protect, and to be a source of inspiration for friends, allies, and family.  Also, the superhero me does credit his powers to a higher power as well.

How Do I Get There?

That is what I am here for, to get suggestion from the other Rebels in the trenches.  To develop a physical workout plan that I can stick to and has elements of running with enough strength and core training to keep the belly fat away and develop some muscle tone.

To work on developing a better way to handle stress and day to day requests so that I do not react in harsh tones or get easily upset with family.

To kill selfishness in myself.  I'm not talking about willing to spend money on myself or whatnot but, actual selfishness where I care about me first, rather than the others I am here to serve and protect.  (Yes, I know one must love and care for themselves first before loving others, etc.  It is a complex issue.   :tongue:)

To develop the motivation I need to complete my challenges and to keep moving afterwards.

Thanks for reading my book of an intro, and I'll see you all on the other side.

God Bless,

Chris

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - GK Chesterton

Character | Intro | Battle Log | Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal | CTPG

Challenges: #1

Current Epic Quest:

Start: Jan. 3, 2016

End Goal: May 2017

Walk to Mordor and Back, Plus Grey Havens

.8%
.8%

Welcome to the rebellion! I suggest checking out the Recruit section since you're just starting out and that's where you'll be assigned for your first challenge. Although some of the rules may be changing; it's a good starting point.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Hello and welcome, Chris!

Ooh, those tricksy workout plans! Since you enjoy running, you might want to consider interval training, i.e jogs mixed with sprints. That's a good way to build both strength and endurance.

There's a really good app for that called Zombies,Run! Say you go jogging/hiking/biking, start your music device of choice, activate the app and start at a leisurely pace. At some point you'll hear zombie sounds, that's your cue to sprint! You only return to a normal pace when the noises stop.

There's also the 'Walk to Mordor' challenge. Basically you track the distances you cover while jogging/biking/hiking and see how fast you can make it to Mount Doom and back. That's another fun way to go about it.

As for other implementing exercise into your regular life: is walking/biking to work an option? If not, maybe start with partial distance, and increase it over time?

You can put your pull up bar to good use if you want to build upper body strength. Check the bodyweight training subforum for info about that.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

There's a really good app for that called Zombies,Run!

I have that app and LOVE it!  Just haven't used it in a while, time to re-download and maybe pay to subscribe to the latest "season".  Already have seasons 1 and 2 but, never got all the way through them.

There's also the 'Walk to Mordor' challenge. Basically you track the distances you cover while jogging/biking/hiking and see how fast you can make it to Mount Doom and back. That's another fun way to go about it.

As for other implementing exercise into your regular life: is walking/biking to work an option? If not, maybe start with partial distance, and increase it over time?

You can put your pull up bar to good use if you want to build upper body strength. Check the bodyweight training subforum for info about that.

I will look at the Walk to Mordor challenge as well.  That sounds pretty cool.

I don't think walking to work would be an easy option.  According to Google it would take 2-3 hours O_o  Biking could be do-able but, would need to get a bike first.  :D

Welcome to the rebellion! I suggest checking out the Recruit section since you're just starting out and that's where you'll be assigned for your first challenge. Although some of the rules may be changing; it's a good starting point.

Hope this helps!

Will check out the recruit section.  Luckily, next challenge doesn't start until the new year so, I have time to think about my goals.

Thanks to both of you for the welcome!

• Like 2

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - GK Chesterton

Character | Intro | Battle Log | Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal | CTPG

Challenges: #1

Current Epic Quest:

Start: Jan. 3, 2016

End Goal: May 2017

Walk to Mordor and Back, Plus Grey Havens

.8%
.8%