Forums are back in action! ×

Posting on impulse here!

Hi, all~

Me:

47, former athlete (lacrosse, soccer, runner, triathlete), got v. sick in 2004 w/ a chronic autoimmune illness. 

I have worked very, very hard to adopt a 'fall 7 times, get up 8' mentality, and be happy with what I can still do.

And that is: Bike (road), and I'm attempting C25K, I haven't jogged in over 2 years.

Goals: 

Century (longest ride to date is 63mi)

Multi-Day bike trip (in earliest stages of planning)

5K (this only if I can get to jogging again, we'll see)

Nerd status may be subpar..Not a gamer, but do go to game Meetups. Back in school to get a Math degree, that oughta count for something. Sci-fi fan (I just discovered John Scalzi!). Yeah, that's all I got.

I am not sure which Class I belong to. Actually, I bet I'm Druid, but wish I were Assassin. We will see. 

I wanted to find an online forum for encouragement/interaction, and google led me here, and I feel this may be where I belong!

Thanks for reading this, and thanks in advance for any guidance!

• Like 2

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Welcome to the rebellion!

Take your time to explore the classes. Which class you are is based on the type of activity you do. Since your goals are focused on distance running/biking/etc, I will second the suggestion of the Scouts.

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Welcome to the rebellion!

Take your time to explore the classes. Which class you are is based on the type of activity you do. Since your goals are focused on distance running/biking/etc, I will second the suggestion of the Scouts.

Thank you! 

Scouts sounds right, I'll keep reading!

Hello and welcome.  I'm totally new here too, and still trying to make sense of challenges and guilds.  Good to have you and the "time gotten up == times fallen - 1" is solid thinking.  Life is sometimes hard, strive on with diligence.

• Like 1

Lvl 4 Mystical Taoist Priest

"All teachings are mere references. The true experience is living your own life. Then, even the holiest of words are only words." - Ming-Dao Deng

Challenge #1 2 3 4

Welcome!  Everyone here is at different levels and have been fantastic about sharing what their knowledge.  Many folks will do challenges in a different class everytime or pick a class and hang out there but their challenge can be something more along other class lines.  I knew despite thinking Ranger at first Scout was the way to go when my first question to a doctor was when would I be able to run or bike?  LOL  Glad you are here and I hope you have a great time.   ;)  Though your nerd cred is lacking.  Just kidding.  We all get our nerd on with different things.  It is all good.

I have been working toward a 100 mile too!  

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Hello and welcome.  I'm totally new here too, and still trying to make sense of challenges and guilds.  Good to have you and the "time gotten up == times fallen - 1" is solid thinking.  Life is sometimes hard, strive on with diligence.

Thanks!! 

Or perhaps: 

My_Intro.append("Same back to you!")

haha

I see you started a battle log already, I think I will do the same. 

Best!

• Like 1

Welcome!  Everyone here is at different levels and have been fantastic about sharing what their knowledge.  Many folks will do challenges in a different class everytime or pick a class and hang out there but their challenge can be something more along other class lines.  I knew despite thinking Ranger at first Scout was the way to go when my first question to a doctor was when would I be able to run or bike?  LOL  Glad you are here and I hope you have a great time.   ;)  Though your nerd cred is lacking.  Just kidding.  We all get our nerd on with different things.  It is all good.

I have been working toward a 100 mile too!  

Thanks again! 

I will follow/cheer your 100mi quest!!

And re: classes  --   I'm sure I'm Scout!  ((I just like assassins as a concept, I think. Even pre-RA you wouldn't have seen me doing those activities ha))

Also the grace re: the nerd deficit is much appreciated =) 

• Like 1

Not sure when that will happen.  Tried and failed a couple times on the 100mi but each time I learned something new and could improve.  What I know now is I do need bike shorts.  Kept trying without them and just not happening.   :o

Hey you have Wonder Woman as your avatar...gives you some nerd cred.  ha ha ha  

Where are you at in C25K?  Which one are you using?  I know when RA is stinking big time run/walk works for me.  I would rather run/walk (ratio depends on how I am doing) then not run at all.  Take your time and repeat a week if needed.  Add an extra rest day as needed.  Persistence and consistency at any rate will get it done.  

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Can't imagine even a short ride w/out shorts!
My friend just did 2500 mi across Europe - without shorts-, and she claims "you get used to it". (Get used to what? To being completely numb? No thx) She also has some sort of leather seat I can't remember what it's called. 

c25K: I'm using this Zenlabs app right now, but I'm sorta trying to prepare for a C25K that the local running club is sponsoring in January. And it's seriously more like shuffle-walk. I am only on the second week. I like your idea of repeating weeks. Even if it takes 5X as long, movement toward the goal is the point.

• Like 1

You may not always feel the need to repeat a run or a week but definitely keep in mind as your body adjusts.  I  know the extra challenges with RA can make recovery and adaptation a bit on the tricky side.  Never been out with a running club/group.  I hear the groups can be pretty encouraging and supportive.  Can not wait to hear how it all goes!