Forums are back in action! ×

My name is Summer and I'm new here. I think I ended up here through a link to an article someone referenced on MFP, where I track my intake and sometimes read in the forums. I have been reading the articles and reading a bit in the community. Finally created a profile!

As I say in my profile, I'm 34 and have never really been fit (see my profile...bookworm since I was 4, hated to sweat) but suddenly am on fire to be so! I have worked out off and on with a friend with only the vague goal of not getting any bigger and fitting in my clothes, also out of concern to be in good condition cardiovascularly (apparently not a word). I followed a program that was focused on core exercises, mainly using body weight. It was good, but I didn't see big physical changes. Possibly because I was also always dieting when I was exercising!! I walked/jogged intervals for cardio. That's still my primary cardio activity, though sometimes I use the stairmill or elliptical machine for a short workout.

After some consideration, I determined that my true goal is to add muscle first and then burn fat (if any wants to burn away in the interim, that will be awesome). I am fighting the urge to lose (diet) the remaining (excess) body fat I have before weight training. Still struggling mentally a little bit there. It helps that I have discovered that I really enjoy, possibly love, lifting weights! I want my muscles to grow so it's helping me eat more. I think lifting weights could be my thing! I wish this had been an option for PE in school (or at least calisthenics/conditioning). I am pretty poorly coordinated and throw a ball in there...forget it. I'm only a few weeks into pursuing heavier lifting and I have a LOT to learn. I know enough to know that I don't know what I don't know. Make sense? First, I'm looking for good, sound resources to learn correct principles. I'm reading as long as I can stay awake at night...which is hard as I'm sleeping like a baby now! I'm trying to stay safe and NOT get injured, so I'm watching videos and reading lots of critiques of form.

I've read the Paleo diet article and intend to the read the book. No, I don't eat that way now. I eat oats and wild rice/other legumes. Sometimes I drink milk. I haven't given up sugar and creamer in my morning coffee. I do track what I eat because I've shifted from a caloric deficit to excess and I kinda want that information to reference as I hopefully begin to see changes in my body composition. Also, if I need someone to critique what I'm eating...it's all in one place! Paleo eaters--you do make the no food tracking sound very attractive :). I just need to know more. Right now, I'm trying to consume enough protein. If you're reading this and you're a weightlifter...what guidelines do you follow for gm per kg or lb? I am increasing the fruits and vegetables and usually have one carbohydrate food at a meal. This is HUGE for me. I really like bread, rice, pasta, etc...

I'm 5', small-framed. A few weeks ago I was 116 lb and my body fat was estimated at "25.4%" on a Tanita machine. (This was part of my fitness center's assessment. I know that's not the gold standard!) I don't really care though what the percentage is. I will know I am in a happy place when a blanket of fat does not totally conceal the new muscles in my upper legs! I am taking measurements and photos to monitor progress from now on.

What else? Ask and I will answer to give a more complete picture of where I am! Have skimmed back and I'm kind of all over the place--I'm waking up with my coffee. I don't want another week to pass without jumping in to say hello! Look forward to meeting you and learning from your experience!!

Weightlifters, would love any links or recommendations for books, articles, videos, etc...I have found several here already. Anything you think is essential to know, especially!!

Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend!!

Welcome Summer! I'm not a weight lifter myself, but I just wanted to drop a line and say that I'm glad you found your way here! I know there are a lot of great people here with a lot of good information, so keep asking around for your answers.

Good luck! :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Welcome Summer! Some people here, myself included like the Strong Lifts 5 x 5 program, it will definetly make you stronger as a beginer. You could also look at the Starting Strength routine. Both plans focus on large compound movements, with an emphisas on strength building. I'm not paleo either, though I do find it appealing, I just make sure I eat plenty of meat, keep carbs low(ish), and I take a protein shate at workout, seems to be doing the job for me.