Forums are back in action! ×

Breakthrough on my daily eating!

Okay, so I've been away from the forum for a good while, mainly due to struggles with my daily diet. For the longest time I was crushing major calories into myself and always on the edge of going sumo sized. My goal was always to just eat 2400 calories a day, while maintaining my Crossfit workouts and becoming 'beastly'. Well I had struggled for months and yesterday I was struck my an odd drive to just finally break down and buy a food scale (It also helps I'm a Metrologist, so weighing things just speaks to my inner geek). This morning was going to be day 1 of trying to find my 'optimal mix', and I started weighing, and entering in my food I planned on eating. I then realized that I was barely topping 1300 calories a day. It shocked me because I thought I was plowing my face full of food, but really I guess I wasn't.

Hoping this realization leads to other breakthroughs, and that I'm looking forward to getting my 'grub on' grocery shopping because I was always very conservative in the past about eating.

Yay! Food scales FTW! I'm familiar with your issue... when I started eating meat again I would just eye ball.. well.. that doesn't cut it. Turns out, what I thought was 4 oz was more like 2. Eep! Problem solved!

Look forward to hopefully seeing you around more often! And more woots!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Sounds like you weren't getting results because you thought you were overeating.

So what do you think the problem is since it wasn't overeating?

Yeah, no one seems to understand when I say that eating clean is very low in calories. It's the grains and sugars that farmers use to fatten up livestock--which is also 95% of the American diet, that make us all worry about calories. You eat meat and vegs and you realize quick that you have to eat more fat to keep your calories up and your energy high.

Cinnamonbite, well I think the whole thing was (I believe - it might sound very Robb Wolf-ish) being in a caloric deficit, my body was thinking I was about to send it into a 'hibernation mode', but yet my activity level (late nights, Crossfit, and regular work) was making my body go into 'Oh crap!' mode where it was using the short amount of calories I was getting just to keep the motor running. I didn't really think about that until this moment, but I've not had any energy lulls, and last night I really did a number on my weak arm (but afterwards took in a ton of protein and carbs, barely passed 2000 calories...I tried..I swear I tried to go higher) during Crossfit, but today it feels good as new. Another indicator is that recently I've had some 'stuffiness' in the head that while not cured, is starting to back off. So I think these were all stress (read cortisol) responses to where my body's going 'I have aches and pains, but not the materials to fix it'. It eventually started forcing me to take days off from CF, and start taking afternoon naps.

Basically the crux of the matter is I wasn't supplying the fuel my body needed for the amount of output I was trying to accomplish. So my body freaked, tried to just keep me 'basically' operating with what materials it had to use, and with nothing in reserve my aches, pains, and illness were allowed to build up. Now I still need to sort out my sleep, but I haven't felt this good in a long time, and we'll see if the scale agrees. (Oddly even though I was eating few calories I was not losing weight, but was deathly prone to 'bender binges' (obviously))

Sorry for the esoteric-ness of the post, just trying to put my thoughts down, but they are just cruising out at light speed.

I think you're right on. Eating too little can wreak havoc on your body and prevent a lot progress. Woot for figuring it all out!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

WHA? :: record screeches to a halt :: robb on the forums? good to see you, buddy. hope you're eating a lot of food right this very moment.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Glad you made that realization. I think it happens to a lot of people, especially those trying to bulk. Best of luck with continued success.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!