Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Indiana

I just found and joined this site last night and it seemed like a good fit for me.

My name is Nate - over time I have let myself get quite out of shape. I enjoy swimming and biking the most, in the Winter I look forward to skiing on the mean slopes of the mid-Michigan snowbelt.

My career as a paramedic requires us to maintain a certain level of fitness. We don't have to be perfect by any means, but strive for improvement. In college, I worked as lifeguard at a large amusement park. Due to all the walking and swimming, I was in the best shape of my life. I want to get back there or even better to prevent injury on the job and set a good example for my newborn son.

Right now I am 5'10" and right under 200 lbs. I would like to get back down to ~140 where I have felt the best. Shorter term goal are wanting to run a 10k sponsored by my employer in May and ride a 75 mile XC mountain bike ride in October. By improving my diet and getting back at a good and fun workout routine, I will make it happen.

"Without risk, there is no adventure."

I have a small frame and felt the best when I was around 140, of course I was swimming over a mile every day due to my work and class schedule. That puts me in the right spot according to the WHO charts. If I don't make it that low but feel just as good at 160, I will still be content. I want to get rid of the rolls and get my endurance back.

Swimming is great for you, low impact and a harder workout. I had one semester where I had a lifeguarding course, a fitness swimming course and my job as a lifeguard. My girlfriend (now wife) even remembers I practically sweated chlorine and my eyes were always red.

A few years ago, I tore my rotator cuff when I participated in a ski racing league. Swimming was great therapy to recover from the tear. For a while when I could barely lift my left arm it was hard to not swim in circles. I never recovered 100%, but swimming got a functional range of motion back without needing surgery.

I live just outside of Fort Wayne. I make trips all over the region for fun mountain bike rides and hikes too.