Forums are back in action! ×

2016: The year of transformation!

Hey nerds!

I've been a fan of Nerd Fitness for a long time, and I've occasionally lurked on the forum and kicked around the idea of joining a challenge, so I decided today is the day!

So here's my story: 2014 was the year of depression. December 2013 to around Thanksgiving 2014 was an unending cycle of tragedy and bad luck which caused some pretty crippling depression. I spent all of 2015 recovering and rebuilding my life skills - time management, budgeting, not leaving the house without fixing my hair, stuff like that. And now that I'm adulting well again I decided it's time to tackle the 30 pounds worth of feeling I ate in 2014. I wasn't exactly small to begin with, so I really have closer to 50 pounds of feelings I'd like to lose!

So 2016 will be the year of transformation! In which I transform into a girl who is fit and healthy and exercises and cooks and always looks pretty when she's seen in public! I've started the process by buying things this girl would use. Specifically, I let my rarely-used gym membership lapse and bought a pair of adjustable dumbbells, a bench, and a rowing machine. The gym was always a hassle to go to, the spare bedroom is not! I also got rid of my busted-up old oven and only one working burner and replaced it with a shiny new oven/convection oven/5-burner ceramic cooktop beauty! I've never been into cooking, but I've also been working with just a single burner, toaster oven, microwave, and foreman grill for a bunch of years. I feel like this new range will open a whole world of new opportunities!

I have high hopes for the coming year! But I need a good support system. I went back to Fitocracy after being gone since 2013, but I guess two years is a long time in internet years. It wasn't the same place anymore. I've been a longtime reader of Nerd Fitness, so I'm hoping to find an awesome group of supportive geeks who I can talk both fitness AND Star Wars with!

So that's my story. My stats: female, 41 years old, 220ish pounds (and I've never told anyone that before!), lifelong Star Wars geek, cosplayer, arts and craftser, color guard performer, aspiring cook, companion to an awesome border collie puppy, currently reading Mockingjay and Sailor Moon, and counting the minutes until the new X-Files starts!

I'm looking forward to making some super awesome fit nerd friends!

That's great! It sounds like you are already on your way!

Eugenides, level 1 thief assassin

STR 3|DEX 4|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 1

Short term goals:

• lose 10 lbs. by 12/31/18
  • get mile pace to 10 min./mile

Ambitious long term goals:

• 100 standard push-ups without a break
  • Hand-stand push up

“He whines, he complains, he ducks out of the most obvious responsibility. He is vain, petty and maddening, but he doesn't ever quit.”