Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Well, this makes me never want to post on this forum again. I'm done after this post, so ban me for being an ass if you want. But between that and the person above bragging about causing a storm by telling women they don't know what they want... wow. My fault for coming into the men only thread, I guess, but I suppose I expected the men only thread's discussion to be intelligent. Oh wait, we now live in a world where women are superior and men are all idiots! I totally forgot the patriarchy doesn't exist anymore. BRB, waiting for my mythical biological clock to catch up so I can start making babies like a proper woman. I wasn't aware the menfolk don't like it when I don't care about having a family. My bad.

This_is_seth, thank you for giving me hope for humanity.

I wasn't bragging I was hoping to spur conversation in this thread to get a male perspective, also I never told anyone "they don't know what they want." I was just offering a commonly held belief as to why a women's libido increases as they age. You're entitled to your opinion as we all are. Have babies don't have babies; it’s no concern of mine.

go-girl-power-propaganda.jpg

To be fair, it's kind of hard to detect sarcasm and set up jokes through images. Or maybe it was to start an actual discussion. Hard to tell.

I understand where you're coming from cosmia, but I think Bruce was trying to convey how people in general say they don't want to have kids, and it's kind of the "cool" thing to say. I've certainly heard it a lot from friends, and then they have a girlfriend for a week and all of a sudden it's "true love" and they can't wait to start a family. It's kind of like how some single people say they're not interested in dating, when really they might just want to have time to think about it. Or they genuinely mean it. There's no problem with either way.

I just think this is a misunderstanding based on lack of clarity and can be resolved politely. :)

Why do people make it sound like they're apologizing? BruceMacInness made a statement Cosmia did not like and in return she managed to make a remark that this discussion is not intelligent enough, she also managed to group the opinion of one man to be the opinion of us all, the menfolk. Most of us are just messing around in here with jokes and undertones that men tend to do and I for one do not like to be indirectly patronized because someone disagrees with the opinion of another. What I can't grasp is why you, Cosmia, almost don't want to post on the forum because one person has an opinion in one thread. Is the rest of the community guilty by association as well now?

After checking out the women's thread, it reminded me of the movie Idiocracy where the intelligent people decided to not bear children and everyone else kept producing like rabbits until the world's intelligence dumbed down greatly. Anybody else get that impression?
I am so glad I am not the only one that has thought like this.. scares the crap out of me at times

Eh, but you also have to remember, nowadays the whole "natural selection" thing is taken to the extreme in people due to the downright absurd number of potential mates that people go through. This is a relatively recent phenomenon too. 100, 1000, 10000 years ago the pool of potential mates one might meet was relatively small (not to mention prearraged marriages and very young marriages). Nowadays men and women are picky well beyond anything in humanity's past, and well beyond anything in the animal kingdom.

If anything a split into multiple species is more likely. Sure there might not be an equal distribution of types, but the smart will continue to get smarter and the athletic will continue to get more athletic (two types that tend to be attracted to their own type strongly).

As far as having kids, it isn't a one sided thing. I've always wanted them and haven't been the type to waste my time; by mid-college if a girl told me she didn't want kids, I really had no interest in pursuing the relationship further, as it was a deal breaker. Not that I needed them that instant, but at some point. I feel the only point to life is to reproduce and do your best to ensure your offspring do as well.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Anyone here shave (your face) with a straight razor? I've been using one for a while now and still have trouble with the curve around my chin. Everywhere else I get good and close... Any advice is appreciated, aside from switching shave methods lol. And NerdFitness is the cure for the morlocks.

Squats are the bacon of fitness, they make everything better. - CoreyD

Anyone here shave (your face) with a straight razor? I've been using one for a while now and still have trouble with the curve around my chin. Everywhere else I get good and close... Any advice is appreciated, aside from switching shave methods lol. And NerdFitness is the cure for the morlocks.

I use whatever freebie I've gotten recently - I think I'm still on a shick quattro. The secret is to shave in the shower. The warm water for 5-10 minutes really makes it easier to shave without razor burn.

Protip: touch 3 finger tips to the soap, and then wipe them on your mirror. That will keep it from fogging up.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I do on occasion shave with a straight razor...but I have a goatee :) maybe try artofmanlines.com or badgerandblade.com?

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Second 67Alecto. Shaving in the shower or directly after is the best way to go.

It's really a conundrum for modern day civilization. There seems to be an inverse relationship between suitability for having children and the pre-disposition to have children.

Anyone who can solve this problem will save humanity. I say us manly-nerd-men should sow the wild oats and hope our offspring bring humanity a better tomorrow.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain
just because this is a mens thread doesn't mean i'm not keeping an eye on it.

lets not fight please.

Uhmmm. I agree. What the hell did I miss in two days? I think we should chill. Obviously different people feel differently about biological clocks and kids and whatever. No need to have a war nerd fitters.

So, uh, I went from 8 years without even a single date to having a date tonight, having another girl blowing up my phone with texts during said date, and another girl meeting me by chance at the bar my date and I eventually wound up at (another girl found me after last call) and very strongly hinting she wants in my pants (the only way she could have made it more obvious would have been grabbing my crotch and saying, "Mine!").

Is there a way out without offending two of them? (I might be able to let one down and the other never know about the others because the one blowing up my phone is under 21 and the other two are over. Maybe? I think? Help!) HELP!

Hmm. I say just be honest and up front with these girls, Atalan. As long as you're not trying to lead them on, the sane ones will understand. As for the others, well, there's not much you can do except to prepare accordingly. That's what I'd do, at least, though it's been a while since I've found myself in THAT sort of position.

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

Guest Snake McClain
So, uh, I went from 8 years without even a single date to having a date tonight, having another girl blowing up my phone with texts during said date, and another girl meeting me by chance at the bar my date and I eventually wound up at (another girl found me after last call) and very strongly hinting she wants in my pants (the only way she could have made it more obvious would have been grabbing my crotch and saying, "Mine!").

Is there a way out without offending two of them? (I might be able to let one down and the other never know about the others because the one blowing up my phone is under 21 and the other two are over. Maybe? I think? Help!) HELP!

Hmm. I say just be honest and up front with these girls, Atalan. As long as you're not trying to lead them on, the sane ones will understand. As for the others, well, there's not much you can do except to prepare accordingly. That's what I'd do, at least, though it's been a while since I've found myself in THAT sort of position.

I agree with disco. Be honest but incredibly kind about it. Just say you're new to this and you're not sure what to do and you want somebtome before ....whatever it is. I mean to be honest Atalanta that was the short version and sounded like you're a pimp daddy so it was a bit confusing to k.kW how it all happened but just be kind and be easy and it should go smooth....and if someone is crazy and starts acting obsessed...well thenbuoull have to thicken your skin. How'd you get in this situation? Lol

Also I met someone the other day...and usually I'm good at reading someone but she's got me completely confused.

I read it at times. That's actually how I learned about Rippetoe's Starting Strength book.

On a side note, I'm watching Food Network with the girlfriend. Rachel Ray just finished piling a bunch of vegetables with carbs and now we're watching a lady brag about doing meatless Mondays. This network may give me nightmares.

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

Guest Snake McClain
I read it at times. That's actually how I learned about Rippetoe's Starting Strength book.

On a side note, I'm watching Food Network with the girlfriend. Rachel Ray just finished piling a bunch of vegetables with carbs and now we're watching a lady brag about doing meatless Mondays. This network may give me nightmares.

NOOOOOOooooooooo

Yeah, girlfriend is sitting here oohing and aahing while I'm just shaking my head. I think there were maybe one or two grams of proteins at the most between both of those episodes combined.

I used to. Why?

I liked it a lot just sort of got away from it.

I'm just curious. I think it's a great website, and this thread made me think about it. AoM makes me ponder what it truly means to be a man. Masculinity is an interesting abstract that changes over time, and I think it's fun to think about. Suppose I'm wondering if anyone else thinks about it as often as I do.

Valar Morghulis
I'm just curious. I think it's a great website, and this thread made me think about it. AoM makes me ponder what it truly means to be a man. Masculinity is an interesting abstract that changes over time, and I think it's fun to think about. Suppose I'm wondering if anyone else thinks about it as often as I do.

AoM is one of the staples of my RSS reader. Good old world wisdom.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Someone with infinitely more nerdiness than me should put a timeline of this thread together.

The only thing we haven't done is compare favourite brands of alchohol.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!