Forums are back in action! ×

Giving Blood then Lifting Heavy Things

So I gave blood today as I do every 2 months or so when the blood drive comes to my workplace. This however is the first time that I have a lifting day the same day. They tell you not to lift any heavy things for the rest of the day afterward. What's everyone's opinion on how long you should really wait? If you have actually lifted on the same day, what has been your experience with it?

Caveat: I am not trying to make a decision. No matter what anyone says, I'm going to the gym at 5pm to lift heavy things, maybe earlier. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect to be different, such as weakness and not being able to lift as much. I've already drank 2 liters of water today so far to try to make up for the loss and ate 8 oreos at the refreshment table.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Because I'm a big dude I typically have less side effects from it, I'm guessing because they take a lower percentage of my blood. I'm figuring I'm going to be able to lift about the same, since heavy lifting is mostly anaerobic, but maybe not have quite the endurance or recovery speed as there are less red blood cells to deliver oxygen.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Fainting can be expected if you go too hard.

Mind you, it would be awesome to drink after. You'd be such a cheap drunk!

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I donate pretty regularly as well. Your iron will also be lowered, but your glucose levels should be fine by now since those recover more quickly (myself, it takes me a good week to recover my iron levels without supplements). Light headedness and nausea are to be expected, but since you are a bigger guy you may not experience this too much like you said. Just don't go too hard. What time did you donate? I'd allow at least 4-5 hours between donating and lifting. Not sure what your lifts are, but try taking them slower as well. Don't want those heavy things falling on you if you pass out! :P Good luck tonight - let us know how it turns out. I'd like to know if I should expect any ill side effects between working out and donating.

P.S. My mom works for the Charles Drew Institute with the American Red Cross in donor services reviewing training material. She may have some inside knowledge on this, or knows someone who could help us out. I'll shoot her an email and see what she says.

It's going to be a good 8 hours between donating and lifting, and I'm now 3.5 liters in on the water. I'm not too worried.

500 / 330 / 625

Not quite the same volume, but I've had blood taken for labs, fasting, both before and after working out and never seen any side effects.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Each person is different and size for sure matters. You're a big guy so you might be able to get away with working on the same day as giving blood. Give it a shot but be very very careful. Listen to your body and push the eject button if things don't feel right at all.

Sadly I don't give blood anymore just because it takes me two sleeps to fully recovery. Yes even the day after I feel really dizzy and my vision narrows when doing moderate weights. Keep in mind I was 5'9 and 135~ to 143~ pounds the couple of times I tried. I'm also have AB- blood type which isn't very useful to the blood system.

Okay, I got an answer from someone at the American Red Cross. I asked if it matters if someone already has an established weight lifting routine. One of the main reasons they don't want you to work out or lift heavy objects the day of donating is because of the clot that has formed. The strain of working out and lifting heaving things could dislodge the clot, and cause bleeding. Since you're donating a good 8 hours before working out, I'm not sure if that will impact the clot, but to be on the safe side you may want to not lift too heavy if you're determined to stay on your lifting schedule today.

This is just me speaking, but they take blood from your vein - any bit of clot that dislodges in the vein has the potential to go straight to your heart. Just something to consider.

I was a little shakey, but fine.

500 / 330 / 625