Forums are back in action! ×

The force has awoken

Hi All,

Tried for a nerdy title – yes I have seen it three times including forcing my three year old to sit through it.

I am a 45 year old male from Sydney Australia. I am married with two kids 3 & 6 years.

I have been lurking on this site since September last year picking up life changing tips/ideas and thought it was time to come out into public.

To give some context during August last year I was fed up. I have always been an active health(ish) person – I have completed an Ironman Tri in sub 10.30 hrs in 2003. Used to smoke on and off until August 2014 and drink 1-3 bottle of wine a week up until December 2015. Since I gave up smoking I went back to my usual formula – run, run and run again but no matter how often I ran or far my belly (which had ballooned out to a first time ever for me 36â€) would not bugger off. I was becoming the stereotyped 40’s something out of shape guy. Something had to change and I had an epiphany of sorts.

Moreover, I have two small kids who I want to proud of their dad and for me to maintain my strength and agility well into my 50s, 60s and beyond.

I am not sure I can pin point it to a particular day, but it was early September and I immediately started surfing various sites using the search “beginner’s weight training†and stumbled across this site, Nerd Fitness. Note – I have never been to a gym in my life and I thought weightlifting was for losers and I thought endurance cardio was the only answer. Also the term nerd kind of struck an uncomfortable chord with me – I was one of the first nerds to start programming when the ZX81 came out in the early eighties.

I started reading this site looking at the various programs and motivational blogs and then stumbled across what I thought at the time was a fad – Paleo. After much more browsing the whole Paleo/Strength combination it made so much sense to me. After all of the marketing hype that is forced down our throats in the interests of profits this paradigm shift of sugar is bad fat is good was a welcome relief and one that had been on the back of my mind for a while.

Well I have not really looked back since that fateful day. It took a few days to organise myself but since then I have kind of (90% - note no sugar or processed foods) followed a Paleo diet and have been doing three strength sessions a week plus one interval session.  I initially followed the beginners bodyweight routine (which was bloody hard to begin with) and progressed onto the advanced. Suffice to say I look (now a 32†belly) a lot better and I feel a lot better about myself. Mostly thanks to this site/Steve’s blogs and focus. I have also changed my Wednesday workout to align with Stronglifts 5x5 which I quite enjoy as it mixes up my sessions.

I can deadlift 140% of my bodyweight, bench about 85% and squat 90% - and my energy levels have never been better. My muscles ache a lot more but a good ache and I feel bad psychologically if I don't workout.

I wanted to post this up to get out of the shadows and start being an active member to try and contribute to this community of like-minded individuals.

Thanks and happy new year to you all – been trying to post this for two weeks now so I have kept the HNY.

Alan.

Friends may come and go.

But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.  -Henry Rollins

Welcome to the Rebellion, Alan.  It sounds like you're off to a righteous start so far.  Keep us posted to how things are going and best of luck on your quest for improvement. 

Lvl 4 Mystical Taoist Priest

"All teachings are mere references. The true experience is living your own life. Then, even the holiest of words are only words." - Ming-Dao Deng

Challenge #1 2 3 4

Hi Welcome!

Sounds like you've been making great progress already! I'm glad to hear you've already been making strides and finding a purpose for it along the way.

I hope you enjoy your stay in the forum and I'm sure you'll find some healthy nerds to support you along the way.

For the Rebellion!

Douglas

You can become a Hero.