Forums are back in action! ×

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Hi,

I heard about this community on The Good Life podcast and thought I'd check it out. I have a mixed relationship with the health and fitness world and mostly just look for ways to have fun while being active. I'm generally not super concerned with changing my body much, but I guess I wouldn't mind fitting back into my pre pregnancy clothes if that came along with some fun activities. I do really want to work on my strength though. I have a history with disordered eating so I'm working pretty hard on Intuitive Eating, and I have some moral convictions that influence how I eat.

Other than that, I am an Army vet who's been through 3 pregnancies, two of my own kids and one baby I carried for a friend last year. My hobbies include gardening and homesteading, reading, bicycling, roller skating, writing, cooking, and crafting. I also have a weird relationship with running, right now I like it. I really enjoy the Zombies! Run! app. I live in a mountain state and also like hiking and outdoors activities when I get a chance. My fandoms include Adventure Time, Doctor Who, Wonder Woman, Harry Potter, Star Wars, The Simpsons, Firefly, and The X Files, but I can get into a lot of stuff really, I like most sci fi and fantasy. I recently learned I am a NLSO, too. Lol.

I guess that's it. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Hi Garden!

Welcome to the forum :)

That's great that you found us and it sounds like you already have some stuff going for you. You'll find a wonderful community of non judgmental incredibly supportive nerds looking to help fellow nerds while helping themselves. Love me some Star Wars and X-Files but I've never heard of NLSO. If you don't mind my asking what does that mean?

Regardless welcome to the Rebellion!

For the Rebellion!

Douglas

• Like 1

You can become a Hero. 

I keep coturnix quail for eggs and maybe one day meat if I can get hatching them down. That's all right now, but I'm applying for a beekeeping permit this year, and we're building a green house where I hope to eventually set up an aquaponics system to raise tilapia. Chickens are illegal in my city and my property is way too small for goats, so we get creative.

• Like 1

oh my glob! Keep up the great work lady!  Stay shiny! (From what you're saying you're into, i think we might be soul sisters), I just joined the academy (warrior class) and am on day four of intense working out after years of mostly playing fall out lol.  Stay postive!  I know finding this community and leveling up myself from work out quests is absolutely the strategy i needed, working out has never been so fun. Huzzah!

• Like 1

We can keep one duck. It's a really weird law. I'm hoping to do some activism to get it changed eventually. Most cities in my area allow chickens, it's really stupid that we don't. Bees are fun though, I've kept them before. They actually don't sting much. I've only been stung a couple times and it was because I was doing something stupid in most cases.

• Like 1

... The lawmakers in your neck of the woods are weird. Just one duck? No chickens? Perhaps there was an incident in the past where people pelted them with eggs and they wrote that law to prevent such a thing occurring again? *grasping at straws*

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I know! It makes no sense! I'm not sure my quail are entirely on the up and up either, to be honest, but the law does say I can keep up to 30 wild bird pets, so I figure they qualify as wild bird pets, lol.

I think we have a good chance of changing the law in time though, so that's what I'm hoping for. I've been learning a lot about local government in recent months so we'll see. Sometimes I wonder if our local representatives are all there. Ha ha.

I wonder if there's actually a person that comes out and takes count of a person's animal collection? XD

I think you would have to be reported. Luckily my neighbors aren't total jerks, lol.

The bigger disaster if we got reported would be if the inspector then saw our rain barrels. They're illegal in our state and punishable by up to $10,000 in fines!

• Like 1

"You cannot catch the free water from the sky..." <--senseless law

Hobby farm keeper here.  My family and I do it just for veggies/fruits right now, but hoping to add some goats in the future.  It's really cool that you're into homesteading!  I'm personally a huge fan of food that just pops up out of the ground, and hope to see more and more people moving this direction in the future.

Lvl 4 Mystical Taoist Priest

"All teachings are mere references. The true experience is living your own life. Then, even the holiest of words are only words." - Ming-Dao Deng

Challenge #1 2 3 4

Colorado water law is really complex. Because we provide water to 13 other states, several tribal nations, and parts of Mexico, we have to be extra careful how we use our water. Us using too much here can mean major problems for people down stream. At the same time, because water is basically privatized, some people have more right to it than others. The rain water collection law was written back when they believed that rain water ended up in the rivers or ground water, which was owned by those with water rights, so collecting that rain water was basically a theft from those who own water rights. We now know most rain water is lost to evaporation, and allowing collection of rain water would reduce the burden on the city water supplies, but the law has been slow to change. It almost made it last year, our state house passed it, but the state senate killed it. It will probably be brought up again this year though, here's hoping the senate has more sense this year.