Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, Nerd Fitness!

I am a lifelong nerd, always preferring books and video games to sports. It was not until four or five years ago that I discovered capoeira (PS: totally agree with the post about martial arts being great for nerds) and have been addicted ever since. Unfortunately, I've hit somewhat of a plateau, with bad eating habits and a sedentary day job, and a big (genetically inevitable) slowdown of my metabolism leading to me gaining quite a bit of weight. Unfortunately, this means that I am not the capoeirista that I once was.

I stumbled upon NF a few days ago and found it relevant to me interests! A little background, I dropped out of college a few years back and am just now starting to take classes again. That, combined with a full time job and capoeira classes twice a week do not leave much time for outside training (or much in the way of cooking healthy either). But after taking a look at some of the resources and incredible stories around here, I find I have no excuses left. It's time for me to take the next level!

I'm looking to level up my life, finish school, and get in the best shape of my life!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

W00t! What are you going to school for?

It is definitely challenging to work, become edumacated, and try to be healthy at the same time.

I would love, love, love to do some sort of martial arts...I think enrolling in a class will be my reward for finishing school.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

these are all awesome goals! as someone who just finished their degree the non-traditional way as well, i know the biggest challenge for me was scheduling. it's actually easier, i think, to get into a routine when you have the same schedule m-f...but, when youre in school, that's rarely the case. my biggest advice would be dietary. it doesn't take much longer to make 6-8 chicken breasts on a sunday afternoon than it does to make 1-2...so do things in bulk and fill the fridge with pre-made healthy meals. depending on your schedule, you may not have extra time to work out any more...but changing your diet will make a big difference. also, make sure you bring healthy snacks to class with you. i know if i didn't have an apple or something with me, the 10 minute breaks between classes would be me getting a candy bar from the vending machine. think ahead and plan ahead. glad you're here!

Thanks for the kind wordsand advice! ebm, glad to see there are folks here that relate, I feel like it is hard to explain the challenges of being a non-trad student to people that haven't experienced it themselves. MIRGSS: I am finishing a bachelor's in psych, and eventually I am hoping to go on to a master's degree. Also, I highly recommend a martial art, and would advise you try out as many as you can before committing. Lots of schools offer free intro's, so you can find out if it is right for you!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

Welcome to the Rebellion! And capoeira is awesome (as is your avatar)! I definitely enjoyed it the couple times I've tried it - nothing too long term, but I did get my feet wet a couple years ago. Healthy eating and snacks is definitely a must, as it's half the battle! Or 80% of the battle, as Steve says.

Glad you found your motivation, and remember that every little bit counts. Good luck! :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Ditto the preparing food in advance. I'm a huge nerd (so hopefully I will fit right in here...) and bring my food to me with school. Like...an entire sackful. Chicken, sweet potato, a jar of peanut or almond butter...apples, bananas...whatever. I've had a couple of classmates laugh at me...but it's better than loading up on the junk they sell at school!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8