Forums are back in action! ×

Eastern and African Philosophers

I came across an interesting article and radio broadcast some time ago (BBC Radio 4) about the comparison between Western/Eastern/African philosophy.

Broadly, it was a discussion based around how for various historical reasons ancient western philosophy (Greek/Roman) was widely propagated in Europe and the Near and Middle East. As well as the arrival of Hellenic Culture in India courtesy of Alexander the Great.

But there is also a long history of Chinese and Indian philosophy. However all I've really encountered is Confucious and Lao Tzu from china and some Zen and Shinto writings from Japan, along with some Indian Veda. Indeed this particular article mentioned that there is a great deal of Indian philosophy but to appreciate it requires an adjustment of the mindset from that used to the western tradition.

Africa is another matter altogether, especially as you move further south and away from Mediterranean culture and towards oral tradition. Meaning that any African philosophical tradition that is older than European intervention is likely to be lost. Although there are modern philosophers writing African Philosophy.

So I wondered if anyone could recommend some philosophers from these regions? Where are the Socrates, Platos and Aristotles of other countries and traditions.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2