Forums are back in action! ×

Fresh Rebel bent on restoring light to his everyday life...

Howdy Everybody!

My name is Michael and I'm new to the Rebellion! I'm from Louisville, Kentucky and I'm 24 years old. I've be an active reader of Nerd Fitness but never took that next step and applied any of my reading to my everyday life. Instead, I would just dream about how great it would be to live a more active and adventurous lifestyle. 

It's been a very, very long time since I was an active member on a forum, but I feel like this is my kind of place. I have been exploring the boards today and I'm still a bit lost on what I need to do to get the ball rolling (guilds, character, etc)

I'm currently halfway through Steve's book and I'm pumped about Leveling Up My Life (I hope everyone hasn't grown tired of hearing that yet.) I'm two days into completing my first month of getting back into shape.  I've tried multiple times in the past but that has only resulted in injury and failure. This time around I'm taking it a little slower. I believe it's definitely going to pay off.

Let me go into a little more detail about myself.  I was very active in highschool. After graduating I stopped working out and haven't really been consistent on staying active. Seven years later, I'm in the worst shape of my life. That being said, my diet is the best thing going for me. I cook for me and my wife every night and we don't really eat a lot of processed foods nor do we eat fast food or drink soft drinks. However, my physical activity is not very good. But, I'm ready to change all of that.

I'm a full time barista at a very popular local coffee shop as well as a part time musician for the alt-pop rock band A Lion Named Roar. I love my job but I feel like there is more out there for me and I feel like I'm reaching a dead end. I biggest passion is music, I wish I could be playing, recording, writing, preforming all of the time. 

I'm a big nerd for roleplaying games (that's the main reason I stumbled upon Nerd Fitness) sci-fi movies, and almost any book I can get my hands on. 

If anyone can point me in the proper direction to really experience the boards of The Rebellion and how to get started I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm very excited to get to know everybody.

Cheers, 

Michael

-A Lion Named Roar-

www.alionnamedroar.com

The challenges have been the most helpful place for me. We just started a new one yesterday, so if you're one to just jump in, I'd suggest going here and get a challenge set up. 

Starting out in the Rebel's will teach you about how the challenges work, and then you can pick a guild from there. Know that you can change your guild, you're not stuck in one. After my first challenge I spent awhile with the Rangers, then adventurers. Now i'm with the monks, but might do challenges with druids and assassins depending on what my goals are. 

As far as the injuries go- start out slow. You dont have to do all the things all at once.

Did some youtube stocking of the band you're in, really loving the music!

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! 

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Hi there. I've had some trouble navigating the forums here, too; some things are a bit hidden. It sounds like you are on the right track.

The admins have graciously provided a challenge template: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/76047-level-1-suggested-challenge-quests/

To get started, make a thread in the Rebels subforum like Toshimi said, and use the template as a starting point. If you used to be active (like I was) you might find that the challenges seem way too small, but that's actually the way to go! It's not so much about getting from 0-100 but about setting good habits. And it feels great to constantly and consistently meet small goals every day.

Another very helpful tool I have discovered is the 'follow' button on the upper-right hand side of each post. Sometimes I post in a thread and then forget where it was; this way you can keep track of threads you are interested in.

I would love to know more about what RPGs and sci-fi movies you like if you don't mind sharing.

Hi there. I've had some trouble navigating the forums here, too; some things are a bit hidden. It sounds like you are on the right track.

To get started, make a thread in the Rebels subforum like Toshimi said, and use the template as a starting point. If you used to be active (like I was) you might find that the challenges seem way too small, but that's actually the way to go! It's not so much about getting from 0-100 but about setting good habits. And it feels great to constantly and consistently meet small goals every day.

I would love to know more about what RPGs and sci-fi movies you like if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks Shen! I posted my first challenge. A couple days behind but I went with what I was already working on!

As for the nerdy stuff...

My first RPG was Breathe of Fire for SNES. I remember loving it so much but could never get past a certain point so I would always just start a new file. Repeat.

This started my love for turn based JRPGs. Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, and the list goes on.

I use to play a lot of others like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Fallout 3, the Tales series, Ni no Kuni, Diablo 3.

Recently started playing DnD 5e with a could of friends. I'm really enjoying that.

The list of sci fi flicks is way longer. I don't even know where to start there. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-A Lion Named Roar-

www.alionnamedroar.com

Thanks Revan for checking out the band! It really does mean a lot to me.

Yeah, I'm starting really slow. I've burnt out multiple times by just jumping in 100% from the start. Trying to pick back up where I left off, leading to a rather quick failure. My goal is to stay consistent with my training (so far so good) and gradually increase the number of reps or intervals or increasing the amount of time I spend a day working at it.

And thanks for the welcome! :]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-A Lion Named Roar-

www.alionnamedroar.com