Forums are back in action! ×

I'll never give up on myself... and I hope to die trying...

Although It's relevant to many responses, I'm tagging this on to yours, Laura. You mentioned this same thing in one of your blog posts a while ago and I wanted to post this then (but couldn't find it on my computer).

Check it:

wrong.png

I've been referring to this thing daily, as I'm working through some stuff of my own. C'est bon!

I'm glad you found it and glad you posted it. :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

It really blows my mind how many people here have said that fear is their main reason for not pushing forward; by far it was the most common response, and I see now that (ha!) I wasn't the only one. So, there are a couple of things I want to add from my own experiences.

For a long time I felt in exactly the same position that Laura originally described: afraid to be amazing and afraid to not be amazing. What a predicament! The good old sayings like "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you're sure to fall among the stars" didn't really help me at all. To some extent, I'm still in that position. However, I can't help but analyze my own thoughts with (these days, at least) a certain amount of impartiality that cuts out the BS I tell to myself.

One of the first things I noticed is that there are people who fail and just keep on going fully embracing that it's just a part of life. That is definitely one of my ultimate goals, and I work at it constantly; so what if I don't end up being Superman like I thought I could be? I'll be in a better place then than I am now. Of course, anyone in a similar position to me know that that's not much consolation, somehow.

The next, and much more valuable, thing that I noticed is that I really enjoyed myself the most when i was in the process of reaching some goal, not when I got there. One of the times that this became most noticeable to me was when I was playing a game of basketball. Twice in that game I got up to the net, and I missed both times (yeah, I'm a pro). Talk about failing at reaching my oh-so-awesome goals; each time I messed up I couldn't help beating myself up about it at considering how I could have done it better. But there was one inescapable fact: both times as I was running up the court, I was smiling. I was still smiling when i missed - it was only when I started thinking about it that it made me unhappy. That was one of the most direct pieces of evidence that indicated to me the simple truth that no matter what goal you set, it's not really the goal that counts, but the process in getting there.

There will never be a time when you will feel like everything you ever wanted has been accomplished. There will always be some new goal to reach, some higher level to attain. So enjoy the work! The only real purpose for setting goals is to make yourself do something you wouldn't really do without that goal to keep you moving. But once you're moving it's easier to keep going. I even have a friend who hates going to the gym but will herself tell you that she enjoys it when she's there.

Anyway, that was a super long post, so i hope I didn't put you all to sleep :P

Just remember, even if you don't reach whatever goal you set yourself, you still have what you've done so far!

P.S. I've had people tell me I should be a motivational speaker...I wonder why -_-

Nothing stands in my way of being the best...except me.

I'm busy, I have five kids and a husband. I volunteer in PTO, with the kids sports teams, plus I work, cook, clean and blog. If I can find time to watch House and fold clothes, I can find time to work out, whether that's thirty minutes each morning, or five minutes stolen a few times throughout the day.

With seven people in a rough economy, money us tight, but I have some equipment I can use for free, and I can forego a few treats each month for better food. I can grow mown food and 'bloom where I'm planted'.

My family needs me, sure! They need me to take care of myself and be a happy and healthy wife and mom, not an exhausted, tired, run ragged one because I'm bring a martyr and taking care of everyone else. My daughters need to see me be strong enough to care for myself, so they'll take that time for themselves. My sons need to grow up thinking that wives and moms need time for exercise and reflection, so they'll help their future wives find that time too.

I'm afraid. I'm afraid of failing, succeeding, being injured, and not living long enough to truly LIVE my life. Working out is one way I've learned to conquer fear, and it helps me in other areas of my life.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

The thing that holds me back the most is my old self. I find myself holding back because of the way I used to be. I still don't see myself the way I am now and that holds me back from doing so many things and is something that I struggle with every day.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.