Forums are back in action! ×

Walking into crossfit for the first time ...

Guest Snake McClain

Looking forward to seeing what you think.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Snake McClain

Alright. I've got good and bad remarks.

The Good: I can tell that once I get in the class it would be absolutely incredible and I'd be in the best shape I could probably ever be in ever period for the rest of the entire existence of the universe....

The Bad: ...getting to that point. Apparently (unbeknownst to me) to start you have to go through "on ramp" and I did not know this. On ramp is sort of an edecuational/testing process it seems. Spezzo and I sort of talked about this after because I was like "WTF yo. That wasn't even really a work out" *rap hands* and she was like, "the purpose of it is to teach you form and to be sure you'e doing things right so you don't go effing yourself up and stuff." *karate chops*

So basically I went in expecting to be able to do the workout as a trial. Instead i got to go through some warm up which is almost identical to the RSG warmup that I do so that was sort of meh. then we did a work out which was 250m row, 15 air squats (bw squats), 15 ring rows (like inverted rows with rings) and 15 push ups. then 12 squats, 12 ring rows, 12 push ups, then 9 of each. then another 250 row. It was to see our time and stuff. okay cool. but i didn't realize it was for time at first. I dunno if i just didn't hear the guy say it or if he just didn't make it clear. so i didn't even work super hard at it and i just blew through it with the second best time. granted some of these folks were older and or new to getting in shape so i am not in competition with them but a couple of them were looking like serious athletes and i was just sort of left confused. anyway the whole thing was weird because they just didn't really eplain anything BEFORE starting. It was all after we were in it and going that they sort of started saying, "Oh by the way this is an 8 class series. only twice a week. for $150". I'm thinking...okay so i'm basically not able to get my real work out for a month if i come here adn it is going to cost me an extra $140 for that month to do so? meh. i can't throw that kind of money around. So for me this just doesn't work. I just can't do it. Good thing Spezzy an I talked because I would have walked away with a horrible opinion of crossfit in general because of those guys. Good news is there are multiple crossfit locations around my areaish and i am going to look into them to see if i like another facility better.

The UGLY: they were sort of rude and...there was an older guy who you could tell was really wanting to be in shape bad, and he had questions and the trainer sort of just interuppted him without really listening or giving him a chance to express his concerns so that really bothered me. Like i'll live without crossfit. This guy in shis late 50's who is overweight and wanting a better life might not. so that just put a bad taste in my mouth.

So let me say this to recap. I like working out. i want a hardworkout and crossfit i can see will absolutely give that to me. Good. That is what i want. I also want a cost I can afford at my near poverty line income which this place couldn't provide. I think another facility with a better price would probably serve me well. They just didn't explain a lot going in what this should have been like so I didn't know what to expect which is a problem for me. but that is just me. and again other locations are probably different.

I'd say try it. And if you can swing the cash do it because it looks awesome. I just had a bad experience and I hope i get to remedy that soon.

Did Spezzy actually *karate chops* or was that in your imagination?

As for the rest, this is my biggest fear for when I start looking into doing CrossFit myself and decide if I want to join a block (is block right?). Because they're just affiliates of the overall Crossfit brand, there's a lot of variance and I'm afraid some people will be dbags or the cost will be really high, or there will be rules like the "must go through this class to join". It really seems like the key is finding a good affiliate.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Snake McClain
Did Spezzy actually *karate chops* or was that in your imagination?

As for the rest, this is my biggest fear for when I start looking into doing CrossFit myself and decide if I want to join a block (is block right?). Because they're just affiliates of the overall Crossfit brand, there's a lot of variance and I'm afraid some people will be dbags or the cost will be really high, or there will be rules like the "must go through this class to join". It really seems like the key is finding a good affiliate.

as Staci explained it to me all crossfits should have you doing that introductory series. cost does vary. dbagger does also.

It's Spezzy, of course she'd karate chop.

there were no real rap hands or karate chops. i was just shortening the conversation down and putting my own little flair on it.

That's too bad you had such a poor experience :( I really do think it depends on the affiliate you go to.

Most boxes do have an OnRamp program that you have to go through first. It's for everyone's benefit - they want to make sure people know how to properly squat and everything with proper form before they put a barbell into your hands. It's for the best. But yeah, the first couple times you go, it's like, "wtf? this isn't a workout!"

It seems they should have explained things more clearly to you. I'd suggest you go 2 or 3 more times to see if it changes, or perhaps go to a different affiliate. Sorry you had a not-cool time!

Guest Snake McClain
That's too bad you had such a poor experience :( I really do think it depends on the affiliate you go to.

Most boxes do have an OnRamp program that you have to go through first. It's for everyone's benefit - they want to make sure people know how to properly squat and everything with proper form before they put a barbell into your hands. It's for the best. But yeah, the first couple times you go, it's like, "wtf? this isn't a workout!"

It seems they should have explained things more clearly to you. I'd suggest you go 2 or 3 more times to see if it changes, or perhaps go to a different affiliate. Sorry you had a not-cool time!

Going a few more times to the same place would be fine except spending tht money for a month and not getting results would be a bit of a waste. and for me when i say a bit i mean MONUMENTAL. I'm sort of on borrowed time with what I'm looking to do and why so I cant really spend a month not in the gym the way I need to. and when i am in the gym the way i need to be i'm so gassed that i probably could NOT do their on ramp class the next day so it's sort of an all or nothing and i can't afford the all.

well technically the on ramp class shouldn't put you out of commission to do your other workouts.

I remember going straight from on ramp to the gym and doing my normal thing.

Corey - they're boxes, not blocks :)

But yes, just like anything else - you can have 10 yoga studios in one area and all of them will be completely different - unfortunately CrossFit is the same way.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Thought I was wrong, didn't sound right.

Yeah, I was gonna suggest what Spezzy said of doing the OnRamp and going right to the gym. You could also do the WoDs on your own at the gym until you go through their hazing period right?

500 / 330 / 625

This is all really interesting for me to read. I've got my CrossFit introductory/training course on Saturday, but I knew that going in. Germans are pretty up-front and clear in that sense. It's a 4 hour course thing and then you're free to do normal Cross Fit things. The way the cost is structured here is you can pay for a full month membership, a partial month membership (limited by hours per week), 10x or a single "drop-in". A full month membership is 85 EUR, which isn't outrageous and is basically what you'd pay to belong to a "normal" gym (and a normal gym requires a 12 month minimum contract whereas Cross Fit is per 3 months).

I'll give a full report when I get back on Saturday.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

Guest Snake McClain
Thought I was wrong, didn't sound right.

Yeah, I was gonna suggest what Spezzy said of doing the OnRamp and going right to the gym. You could also do the WoDs on your own at the gym until you go through their hazing period right?

I considered this last night. And that would work. but again for me it is the cost issue. It seemed that it is $150 for the first month of on ramp classes then after that it is only $100? i don't know why that would make sense but eh. But yes i thought of this last night. Doing the WOD would be tough at my gym because it is small and sort of compact. so depending on what the WOD is it may not be 100% doable but i could always manipulate it. but then if that is the case I could just do this anyway couldn't i?

This is all really interesting for me to read. I've got my CrossFit introductory/training course on Saturday, but I knew that going in. Germans are pretty up-front and clear in that sense. It's a 4 hour course thing and then you're free to do normal Cross Fit things. The way the cost is structured here is you can pay for a full month membership, a partial month membership (limited by hours per week), 10x or a single "drop-in". A full month membership is 85 EUR, which isn't outrageous and is basically what you'd pay to belong to a "normal" gym (and a normal gym requires a 12 month minimum contract whereas Cross Fit is per 3 months).

I'll give a full report when I get back on Saturday.

See...this i would like. a 4 hour class. eat up one day and bam. Go.

See...this i would like. a 4 hour class. eat up one day and bam. Go.

I can understand your impatience, but I also understand where the CrossFit guys are coming from and actually kind of agree with them. (Note: I do not CrossFit) For many people starting out they need to be coached quite a bit in the movements, and especially with CrossFit where the WODs are done a fast pace, without proper training it can lead to serious injury/box owner getting the pants sued off him. 8 classes to nail down form before going balls to the wall is pretty reasonable. I find it analogous to not loading up a bar with two plates for your first attempt to squat.

Now as for rudeness I can't say, maybe the trainer was having an off day, or is just a dick.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Guest Snake McClain

I get the bit about needing to show form. i do. It just doesn't make sense to me right now for the cost needed. It just doesn't. I'm not saying no one should ever go to crossfit. I think it is awesome. and I'd be willing to put up with the dbaggers just to get in the best shape possible but for me it is a money issue.

Quick question. Hypothetically what if you demonstrated proper form and technique for all required exercises, would they still require you to finish the "OnRamp" class?

I don't know about the one Bruce is doing, but with mine they say you can skip the introductory course if you take a "test" and prove what you know.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

Guest Snake McClain
Quick question. Hypothetically what if you demonstrated proper form and technique for all required exercises, would they still require you to finish the "OnRamp" class?

See i kind of asked this. I told them i do barbell lifting and all that stuff. They told me i had to do the class. So....*shrugh*. between Scarlet and myself it seems there is a big variation.

Seems like you need to ask around then at the different locations.

500 / 330 / 625