Forums are back in action! ×

That's supposed to read "not as badass as I'd like to be." Already had a posting fail!

Hey everyone,

I am in my mid-twenties. I am a student and a worker with some pretty demanding family responsibilities. I have been trying for too long to get in shape, and I've never really gotten where I've wanted to be. I always end up following a pretty strict and rigorous routine for about a month, and then falling off the wagon completely for some reason or another.

I am 5'8'' and I weigh 197. As a feminist and proponent of fat acceptance, I haven't tried to lose weight for years. Even though I starved myself throughout high school, I've always been fat. Over the last few years, however, I've gotten even more out of shape and let my eating habits get really bad. Now I want to try in earnest to lose a little weight, but do it in a healthy way over the long term.

I want to lose about twenty pounds over the next twenty weeks. I have no idea if this is doable.

Eventually, I want to be able to run a 5k, do a hand stand, and maybe even do a pull-up one day.

For right now, I am challenging myself to walk for thirty minutes every day for the next thirty days, and to keep a food and fitness journal. I've overdone fitness in the back, and I really want to establish sustainable habits for life. No more pushing too hard too fast and giving up.

Welcome! My wife is about your height and did 50 lbs in a year, so 20 in 20 weeks is definitely doable. Let us know how we can help!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hi and welcome! I started just walking a mile at a time at 267 and within 18 months I had lost about 50 lbs and ran a half marathon. You can do it if you're devoted to your training! Good luck!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis