Forums are back in action! ×

Joining the in-crowd... of nerds?

So apparently you're supposed to introduce yourself when you join the forum, so here goes:

I'm Tiffany, age 31, married to a US Navy Submariner. We're stationed in Hawaii at Pearl Harbor for now. Upside to living on this rock in the middle of nowhere? Nice weather year-round, so no "it's too cold/snowy/rainy to workout today" excuses." Downside? Most everything else. 2 years and counting til we move back to the mainland.... I'm a certified nerd, though not really of the Gamer clan. I'm more of a bookworm & computer addict. When I was a kid, I actually wanted to be a Librarian when I grew up. These days, I just inhale information as fast as I can and then process it all back out in Excel. My husband says I think in spreadsheets. I don't see what's wrong with that. It's very organized, logical, and efficient. What higher compliment can there be?

Today is the first day of my 6th month of a weight loss/better eating/lifestyle change that's been a long time coming. I was a round baby, and chubby kid, a heavy teenager, and now I'm a full-figured woman. In other words, I've got fat. Too much of it. I've spent years alternately fighting it and deciding it's not my fault, that there's nothing I can do about it, and there's no use trying. My nerd mind couldn't really settle on that conclusion, though, because I know better. I'm good at what I choose do, for the longest time I said that was because I'd never do anything I wasn't good at. Then that got boring. I mean, really, how many times can you do the same thing and still feel like it's an accomplishment? So I started thinking, "what if I can be the kind of person who's good at what I do because I attack it with everything I have and don't give up til I've got it down? That would be better." So I decided it was time to make a change of attitude, because the mindset I'd always had was just getting me the results I'd always gotten (i.e. weight gain & less energy).

On September 1, 2011, I started my new life. I had just quit my full-time (long distance, telecommuting, time & soul-sucking) job, and I felt free. I went to the gym with a friend and got on the elliptical. It wasn't as bad as I thought. The next day, I ran into a friend on my way in, and joined her for a Zumba class. That was fun. I looked like an idiot, and had ZERO rhythm, but it was fun and made me sweat. So, I started doing Zumba twice a week, and cardio on my own 3 times a week. After a month, I felt better and stronger, but hadn't really lost any weight. I started seeing a nutritionist and tracking my food intake, which led to a huge weight-drop. Turns out, my intuition on what I was eating was WAY off from the reality.

Right around the same time, I signed up for 10 sessions with a personal trainer twice a week. That's where I learned about body-weight functional workouts. I did more squats and lunges that first week than I'd ever done in my life, and I was SORE to prove it. But the next week, we did it again, and I was better already. I was amazed at how fast my out-of-shape, never-worked-out-before body adapted. Soon, we moved from modified exercises to the real thing, and my workouts got more intense. It was awesome to have one-on-one help and encouragement. As my strength increased, we added dumbbells and weight machines, and I could actually do it! I'm still amazed at what I can do, and I'm not sure I'll ever get over that shock. I had always assumed my body couldn't do "athletic stuff," but really it's just that it never had. The understanding of that difference was huge. Now I find myself wondering, "what else can I do that I haven't ever tried?"

After 6 weeks with the nutritionist, they re-measured my metabolic rate, and it was slower, not faster than when we started. I couldn't believe it - I was stronger, felt healthier, and was skinnier than I'd ever been. How could my metabolism be slower? I almost asked them to redo the test - the results had to be wrong. But, I came home and started doing research, which is when I found Nerd Fitness, among other sites. I learned that doing all cardio burns muscle mass, not just fat. And it's muscle mass that makes for a fast metabolism. Well damnit, I'd been doing it wrong. I hate it when I get all excited and find out I was wrong. But, I still wasn't 100% sold (information junkie, remember?). I stuck with what I was doing because it had been working and fit the majority of the info I had in my mental archives. I'd already started doing more weight-based exercises with my trainer, so I thought that could be the balance. I've been reading and learning more, though, and I'm about 95% sold on the weight training for weight loss theory. It certainly seems more efficient, and I think my brain my explode if keep doing the inefficient way when I know there's a more efficient alternative. That would just be illogical, Captain.

Tomorrow's the last of my pre-paid sessions with the trainer, and I'm ready to start trying this on my own. So, here I am on Nerd Fitness, and I did the Beginner's Body Weight workout for the first time today. I got through 3 sets (with modified pushups, those are still the bane of my existence) but I was dripping sweat by the end. I could really get into this workout-in-30-minutes-a-day thing. Beats the hell out of driving to the gym, spending 45 minutes on the elliptical, and driving home. My plan is to do weight-based training on Mon, Wed, Fri, and keep going to my Zumba class on Tues & Thurs. It's fun, and I have friends there, so why not?

So, here are my goals:

Weight: I started at 215 last summer, am currently at 185, and my goal is to hit 150 by my birthday, May 16th. Since I care more about my size than weight, those weights correspond to size 20, size 16, and hopefully size 12, respectively.

Strength: Rock the Beginner's Body Weight Workout, adding mods as needed as I get strong. I'll stick with that workout until I can do 10 real, unmodified, perfect form pushups per set. Right now, I can do 1, and I'm not sure my form is perfect on that one.

Body: Lose my belly, shape my butt, and slim my arms, especially my upper arms.

Hey, hey! Welcome to the rebellion. Truth be told I always wanted to be a librarian as well. If they are still around by the time I retire I plan to make it my retirement gig :D

Great progress so far. Click around the forums plenty of good info for you to ingest. Ask questions as needed. We're pretty good at answering them round here.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle