Forums are back in action! ×

The Road Less Traveled

Hi everybody

I came across Nerd Fitness while trying desperately to Google instructions on doing chin ups and pull ups.

this all started with a bet that I made with my extremely fit/muscled friend who also works as a fitness trainer, boxer and fighter whenever he's not at the gym, the bet was about my ability to do 5 chin ups which look A LOT easier on paper or when he does them.

Needless to say I couldn't even do one chin up/ pull up and actually ended up knocking over a metal bar attachment in the process of failing at my first chin up

it was bad... real bad lol

I feel like I'm eating complete crap all the time and a simple workout leaves me sore and internally bruised for days.

I want that toned sculpted female physique and I'm really willing to work for it.

I was hitting the gym 3 days a weak for 2.5 hours at a time during this past 2011 summer

and YES I did the typical thing that all women do which is an hour of the bike and treadmill and then an hour of attempting to use the very confusing machines at the local gym I joined, then 30 minutes of attempting to lift 5 or 10 pound weights.

To be honest it DID work to some extent everybody noticed I was losing weight and I felt like a whole new person

then school started and varsity kept me on lock down in my room with books and plenty of iced coffees and a lot of unnecessary sugars and I couldn't find the time to visit my campus gym.

BUT I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF MY PERSONAL EXCUSES

I really need to start kicking my own ass and start treating myself and body better!

I've been reading articles under the free resources section

I'm trying to figure out how to jump into this, so if anybody has any advice please guide me :)

I'm completely sick of people saying I cant so I'm ready to show both them and myself that I CAN

Hello and welcome! If you're looking to start with lifting, the Barbarian Strength Guild forum is a great place to start getting info and asking questions. Or, if you're stuck in your room, you could look into doing body weight exercises, which doesn't require a gym or free weights. You could look at the Beginner Body Weight Workout too.

Really though, it's about finding something fun that you like to do. Does the gym have classes or clubs that meet weekly? You could go try something that interests you or that you've never done before. Exercise is a hell of a lot easier when you're doing something you enjoy. :)

Hope that helps! Be sure to check out the forums and ask around if you have any questions!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Woooo! Welcome! It's time to start kicking @ss and taking names!

I agree that chin ups/pull ups seem much easier when OTHER people are doing them. I tried to do one of each after my workout yesterday...just to see, y'know?...and TOTALLY COULDN'T.

What are you studying at school?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hi Sco and thank you :)

I looked over the beginners body weight workout and it seems easier on paper i know it'll kick my ass so I'm excited to start on monday and maybe do the workout on mondays, wednesdays and fridays and then I decided to try interval training on the treadmill on tuesdays and thursdays where i have more time between classes.

The school gym is really intimidating it's mainly built for the muscle and body building guys who can do like 30 push ups without breaking a sweat

and the local gym doesnt have classes but it's more relaxed

I just enjoy jamming out to my fav songs while at the gym

it's alto easier when I know that I have so much support already :)

Hi Atalan

thank you for the kind welcome :)

Hi MirGSS

Its sooooo hard lol I should never have made that bet

I'm studying investigation, psychology and a bit of police foundations :)

Sounds good! Just be sure not to overdo it in the first week or two - build the habit of getting in the workouts so that it's a sustainable thing in your schedule, not just an added stress to your day. :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Thanks Crxmahan :)

wow Sco that's a good idea :D

so far I've been writing 'circuit' or 'interval' all over my calender but I'm sure finding time will be harder so I'm going to start with a Paleo diet and working out like 5 times a week, i do get a general pumped up happy feeling at the gym just not near all the big scary good looking guys with muscles the size of my head lol