Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone....I'm excited to be here, although a little nervous.

My purpose in joining the Rebellion is to find a community where I can get help and eventually give it back.

I started dramatic changes in my eating habits last November and have a terrific daughter who made the jump to a Paleo habit. She's a scientist (a biochemist) so she's convinced me of it's advantages. My 1st step was to kick the Diet Coke habit. I've pretty much done that which wasn't easy because I was drinking nearly 2L a day. Now that is mind-staggering to think what my poor body was dealing with chemically and caffine-wise. I'm pretty good at the amping up the carbs from veggies---can masterfully roast veggies with the best of 'em. I just finished a 30 day sugar detox....made it to day 21 and fell off the wago for 5 days...and then finished the last couple of days. So I'm better but not perfect. I think that's what I'm really learning....I can't see myself ever being 100% on this eating style because I'm a human (which comes with lots of flaws). But I know I do it 50/50 and that's a HUGE improvement over my previous MacDonalds lifestyle. My goal is to consistantly be 70/30 by mid March.

Which brings me to the other goal I set. Again my daughters heavily influenced me in this choice as I had been going to jazzercise for years. Instead I am going to try and leearn how to use functional exercise to build my flexibility and strength. I found a gym near my house and enrolled in the RampUp class. It took me 3 visits before I could actually go into the place because "everyone" seemed so young, vital and perfect as I watched from my car in the parking lot. But I finally got myself in there...and signed up. I start next week on Tuesday and Thursday nites until I learn the moves and then I can join the regular classes. So my goal is to go the twice a week for this RampUp series (2 weeks) and then try to move to 3x a week.

I haven't been a part of a group before...but when I see all the Lego, RPG (although I'm old enough that I started playing Zelda when we had carrot prompts and no pictures...just a black screen with white characters. Can you believe we had to imagine what it looked like in our minds since we didn't have graphical displays), I feel like I'm with people like me. Although I've only played Everquest when my son (who is 28) was in middle school so that I could know what he was doing online so much!!!! And I've never played World of Warcraft, I get it. Once in the mentality, always in the mentality even if it's another game!!!!

I would be in heaven if I could stick to my 70/30 and 3x week. So that's my goal for the next 6 weeks. I think my other goal is to figure out how to use this spot to help me....find encouragement and inspiration as well as be honest about what I'm doing to accomplish my dreams!

mratzel

Adventurer

STR: 1 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 3 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

Get better every day.

Guest guest4729

I think a lot of people here pay it forward and hope that people will give back in general. Even if you can't really contribute for awhile, you can pay forward what knowledge you learn from NF and that's what counts.

Otherwise, it's awesome to hear how far you've progressed! It takes a big step to actually get signed up for a class where you don't know what the hell you're doing, but you'll learn. Everyone has to start somewhere and chances are there will be people there as well who are still pretty new. Just keep in mind that you can do your best and nothing more - at least you're giving it your all!

And on that note, welcome to NF! :)

Welcome, welcome.

If baby steps are what you need to make it happen, then that's what you do so that you can continue.

I, for one, love a massive sweeping 180° change. But my mum is all about little steps at a time, building up so she looks back to a month ago and sees the massive change from there.

Good Luck with RampUp. I had the same issues when I started swimming at my local pool. But one thing I noticed was that most people were all too worried about what other people were thinking about themselves to even notice me, exactly the same as I was.

This is my weekly Blog, From Fat to Bat; one man's journey to be Batman...

This is my Intro thread...

Convict Conditioning:: Push Ups - lvl 2 || Squats - lvl 1 || Pull Ups - lvl 2 || Leg Raise - lvl 1 || Bridges - lvl 1 || Handstands - lvl 0

Current Body (2012.02.12) :: 5'10" || 270 lbs || Waist: 48" || Thigh: 25" || Arms: 14" || BF%: 36 || Young Bruce Level

Thanks MirGSS....MUD you betcha. Not that I wouldn't love to learn the new formats, but time seems more fleeting than ever!!! I used to play my Zelda on PDP-90.....now my phone is more powerful than the machine I used!!!

mratzel

Adventurer

Get better every day.

..... it's awesome to hear how far you've progressed! It takes a big step to actually get signed up for a class where you don't know what the hell you're doing, but you'll learn. Everyone has to start somewhere and chances are there will be people there as well who are still pretty new. Just keep in mind that you can do your best and nothing more - at least you're giving it your all!

Thanks so much for the words of wisdom. Believe me, I will take them to heart and appreciate your ideas.

mratzel

Adventurer

Get better every day.

Dear Deansy,

I appreciate your 180 sweeping change....but I've had far too many failures going that route. That's why I'm switching it up and giving this tactic a shot. We'll see.

What is all that info at the bottom of your post? What does it mean?

Thanks again for posting for me.

mratzel

Adventurer

Get better every day.