Forums are back in action! ×

Adventure/Obstacle Course Racing

I'm aiming to do all the Grim Challenges this year (not the duathalon though) http://www.grimchallenge.co.uk/ My training? Running around in puddles! Honestly I've got one tomorrow and I've done practically no training apart from a 4km last week and 5km on the treadmill on tuesday!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Have you contacted any of them to see if you can request one? I think "The Spartan" race lets you put in requests through the website 8^)

I didn't know that. Might give that a try. I'm also not opposed to planning travel around one of these things. Might run that one by my boss and see what he thinks...

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

Hey guys, the Grim night terror was awesome! Unfortunately it was only 6.8 miles as they had to alter the route at the last minute because it became so icy they decided it would be too dangerous for some parts! Very cold, very dar, very very fun!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

I did the Rugged Maniac last year and it was super fun. I would highly recommend doing some training runs where you do a set of strength training every .10 - .25 mile. One thing I did that helped a lot was jumping and pulling myself up on my 6ft fence. You can't imagine how hard it is to scale a 7ft wall with mud on your shoes at the end of a grueling race. Try to prepare for it by doing it. Run through some mud and see how heavy it is. Try jumping. It's a lot of fun and there are people there if you need a helping hand.

Challenge 1 Plank time: 1960 seconds

Challenge 2 Rope Jump: 4200

The walls were a little difficult to get a foot hold on in the Warrior Dash I did, but not incredibly hard. My wife lacks upper body strength and she plowed over it (was so proud).

For Tough Mudder (planning on doing it 2013) the obstacles area a bit hard and require more strength. The biggest thing for me is I have always sucked at monkey bars, I can't even hold myself up one handed. It's the biggest reason I am training my pull ups. I'm going to do weighted ones as soon as I can.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I want to do Tough Mudder 2013

Maybe we;'ll be doing the same one! I'm waiting until I can do 50 feet of monkeybars before I sign up because I REALLY want to complete that obstacle.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Maybe we;'ll be doing the same one! I'm waiting until I can do 50 feet of monkeybars before I sign up because I REALLY want to complete that obstacle.

I'm just so stoked to do it. I'm working out and getting stronger but I haven't set any specific goals to accomplish by then. After I'm done focusing on this 6 week challenge that will be my nice challenge prepping for Tough Mudder. We prob will be doing the same one. That would be cool to bump into you. Is your wife going to be doing it with you? My hubby JDCoyle is going to do it with me. I'm so excited

Don't know if she will, but I have a few buddies that I can get to do it.

500 / 330 / 625

And surprisingly one of the hardest.

With random buttered rungs included? Yeah, it's the only obstacle I'm worried about not completing, and by worried, I mean I know I could not complete it right now.

500 / 330 / 625

I couldn't do it either. Dude, the butter really isn't all that... it's all the mud and grime from everyone before you on those bars that makes it hard.

Didn't think of that. I really want to complete it. I wonder how many people actually do.

500 / 330 / 625

Hi there!

I'm new here and the main reason I joined is because I'm looking for people in the US who are into Obstacle Races and so I found this thread. I have done a few so far, in Germany as well as in the US. Greatest would be to find someone who either has done or is planning to do one of those two - or is at least generally interested in those and from the area:

Merell Down & Dirty in Philadelphia www.downanddirtymudrun.com or:

Survivormudrun in Colorado - www.survivormudrun.com

because that are two I'm considering to integrate in my next trip to the US.

Of course I'm also willing to give tips to anybody planning to do such races in Germany, starting with:

but I would love love love to do one. Sadly, there seems to be nothing of the sort around where I live.

That's what I also thought for quite a while. But in the last years more and more came up!

First of all probably is the Fisherman's Strongman run - www.strongmanrun.de - completely sold out for 2012 though. 11.000 starters give a really crowded course though.

The same goes for the www.braveheartbattle.de, which would be a bit nearer to where you live, but it's a month from now and sold out for 2012. 2500 starters and a 24km long race - probably one of the hardest races in Germany. Something to remember for 2013.

But for the good news: The nearest of all for Munich is the Wolfsman Run&Rock (no, I'm not organizing it), www.wolfsman.de in Nuremberg, and that is still in the first registration phase. It's on September 22nd and offers two distances, 10km and 20km - so you can decide. 10k is among the shortest of those races in Germany.

Then there's the Motorman Run, not really near Munich but also not too far away. September 8th.

Or if you're willing to travel a little more around in Germany: www.lakerun.de - September 2nd.

Or www.crossdeluxe.de in eastern Germany - quite small but also nice event, September 30th.

And that aren't even all...

Hope that helps a little - and probably gets you into obstacle/mud racing already this year! September is more than enouh time to train for it at least.

Greetings,

WuWolf

P.S.: Even though this thread is in Off-Topic I'm not completely. Many people consider me a nerd and before I started doing these races I really was not into sports at all. Luckily I'm doing this for a few years now and training for it really helped me getting into at least a slightly better shape than the pizza-eating computer guy I used to be.