Forums are back in action! ×

Body Diversity in Athletes

This is a bit of an older photoshoot of world class athletes, meant to show the diversity of body types across different sports. I thought it was really interesting, and it was nice to discover "myself" among them (one of the synchronized swimmers is my exact weight, height, and basic build).

http://ninamatsumoto.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/athletic-body-diversity-reference-for-artists/#

Yes, I know strength/fitness/whatever doesn't necessarily go with being "athletic," but it's still encouraging to realize that people with different basic physical types can accomplish really amazing things with their bodies.

Kat

This is really cool. As a rower, I'm in a strange boat (pun not really intended) because I have big legs and trunk, and relatively tiny arms. I'm in pretty good shape, my squats, deadlifts, lunges, and good mornings are good, but I can't do more than a few decent pullups for my life (I know, I know). It's amazing how many different forms the human body can take when you do different things with it.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I'm pretty upset by this. The bloke who play soccer has some bird legs... he's giving my people a bad rap.

p.s. I would like to carry Tara Lipinski around on my shoulder for a day or two. She's so cute.

--edit-- found Casey Keller later in the photos. there's a soccer body type I can get behind.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

The bright shoes and black underwear theme is slightly amusing.

Just makes me sad cuz I don't look quite like ANY of those... yet >.>

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

why are they all covered in crisco...?

... also I was on a swim team with wolf wigo who is featured on this article and went on to become US national water polo team captain for many years... he was 3 years younger than me (I?) and lapped me at 200m distances... (I was slow as sh!t)... another guy on that swim team went to the naval academy and is (was?) a navy seal team commander...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance