Forums are back in action! ×

tendon/ligament damage

nearly two weeks ago i managed to sprain/strain (i think) a tendon or ligament (i think :S) behind my left knee, it first 'went' as it were when i carried an offset load (36kg in one hand) at work and as i 'pushed off' with my left foot to start walking i felt a little pain behind my left knee it wasn't too bad so i ignored it and i thought it went away. later that day i went to the gym for some heavy deadlifts and cleans, neither of which effected it and i lifted what i expected i would. the day after though i went running despite the slight ache behind my knee (beginners running class, run half a mile walk a bit, rinse and repeat for about 2.5 miles) and near the end it went big time styley and i had to walk the last half a mile or so with a slight limp

since then i've not run/jogged or even done any leg work besides a few two hands anyhow's and one handed snatches with around about 30kg on the bar, just to keep myself mobile. it hasn't ached in about a week until i start doing anything resembling a jog in which case it flares up and i stop for fear of recking another joint (i didn't give my shoulder sufficient rest after i sprained it once and it like coming back to haunt me randomly) so i want to make sure i give it enough rest, the only thing i'm falling way behind this running class (which i mainly went on to get used to my vibrams but still...)

anyone got any tips and tricks for dealing with such an injury?

Honestly? If you have medical insurance, have it checked out. When you get a knee injury like that, unless you know for certain what it is, it can hang on for a very long time without proper treatment.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

So tips from my gymnast friends (well-known for exercising with horrible injuries, and doing everything they can to get up and bouncing even with some really bad strains) is ice and heat, alternating. So, ice for 20 minutes, heat for 5, repeat a few times. This supposedly encourages bloodflow to the ligaments/tendons which don't normally get much of it, by constricting and expanding the cappilaries. When I strained my ACL it was just a lot of ice, and getting a good knee brace so I didn't lose too much strenght and could continue exercising a bit, WITH SUPPORT. I know there's all the people who are like, "It'll weaken everything and you'll be more prone to injuries!" but if it's already injured, give it the support it needs for at least a week or two. Keep the stretching really lite and glucosamine may help as well, provided you're exercising the joint. When I dislocated my shoulder, it didn't really start getting back to 'normal' until I started on the glucosamine (which helps build up cartelidge again).

See a doctor, ligaments are squirrely and will creep up on you. If your docotr wouldn't be any good at this, go see a different one.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You really have to figure out which it is, ligament or tendon, as the treatment for them is more or less opposite.

A ligament needs rest and immobilization. Some of them don't heal on their own and need surgery or will never heal (such as an ACL tear in the knee).

A tendon needs rest through the acutely painful part (about a week) but will never fully heal on its own unless the underlying cause is fixed, in the knees it is typically muscle weakness, imbalance, or tightness in the upper leg. This is fixed through exercise and stretching.

It doesn't sound like you have swelling, which would point toward a tendon issue more than a ligament issue. Tendon issues are very common in runners, expecially beginning runners, and there are lots of different forms (IT Band Syndrome, Runners Knee, Jumpers Knee, Pes Anserinus).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

yh i didn't get any swelling and i think it was just a bit of random tightness (even though i stretch my legs/hips out fairly often) i've got an appointment with my chiropractor on friday so i'll see what he says, then see my doc after, i'll keep it rested till then (limited leg work and not running, running sets it off straight away) but i'm on my feet at work most of the day, and see how it goes, i'll try and do the hot cold thing when i can as well thanks guys