Forums are back in action! ×

What's your favorite whiskey? (Or other alcoholic beverage I suppose :P)

Someone had brought up alcohol on the men's only thread, and I'm figuring that deserves its own thread. I got a lovely bottle of scotch (Black Label) for Christmas from my girlfriend. I've been exploring whiskey for only about a year or so, and that was my first scotch. Damn. Talk about something that just knocks me back into heaven. I've also been known to thoroughly enjoy Bushmill's (though I've been told its for protestants, hahaha), and it has happened on more than one game day that I knock back an irresponsible amount of Jameson.

I could go on for a while about beer, too, but tonight is just a whiskey night. What's your favorite thing to knock back in celebration or in times of great trials?

I love me some Scotch, too! I only started drinking it a couple years back, and although I haven't tried too many different kinds, I have found some that I absolutely love. My favorites are Caol Ila, I've only tried the 12 year, and Laphroaig, of which I think the Quarter Cask is really good. They're real thick and smokey, and I don't think they even taste like most kinds of whisky. I also quite like Glenmorangie. I always thought it had a slight vanilla flavor to it, and just so I didn't look like a complete jackass I checked their website, and turns outs I was right. I just wish I had a more refined palate, and could taste more of the flavors in it.

The main issue with those bottles is that they can be quite expensive. I've noticed that they're significantly cheaper here in Japan than in the US. Sometimes I want something good that isn't going to break my budget, and in that case I'll usually go with a tumbler of Four Roses on the rocks. It's got kind of a soft, sweet flavor, and is much easier to handle (and cheaper!) than a lot of the other commonly sold brands of bourbon/American whiskeys.

Another cheap but tasty choice (at least here in Japan) are some cognacs. Courvoisier has a nice VSOP that is about half of what I pay for the Scotch whiskies I usually buy.

I don't drink much any more. When I do it's bourbon. For a nice sipping bourbon, I drink Basil Haydens if I'm mixing it, my go to brand is Knob Creek. Can't go wrong with Maker's Mark if you're looking for a reasonably priced drink. But if the guys are coming over for DnD, they're not gonna bring a bag of chips and dump my good liquor in whatever diet soda they brought over, in that case it's Old Crow.

My wife's grandfather is an old coot. He took an immediate dislike of me 'cause I'm from the cities until he found out that I could cut dovetails and that I drank bourbon - he buys it by the case. His sundays go like this: he bakes a chocolate cake and invites all the ladies from the assisted living complex over. After they leave he grills a big steak, bakes a potato, and pours himself a big tumbler of bourbon and ginger ale.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

My go to drink is Johnny Walker Red. I like it, yet it's cheap enough that I don't mind waterning it down with ice or mixing it with coke. If someone else is buying, I'll take a Johnny Walker Green. And if someone else is buying from the top shelf, I'll take a Johnny Walker Blue.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Neat - Oban 14, Jameson Gold

Wet - Tallisker 10, Jameson 12

On the Rocks - Makers Mark 46

Manhattan - Makers Mark, Knob Creek

Old Fashioned(Sazerac) - Redemption, Bulleit

Yes, I take my whisky/scotch/rye seriously. It's just so yummy.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I used to be an old man back when I was a 22 or 23-year-old woman. I drank Scotch neat or on the rocks, manhattans, etc. I even had a crystal decanter with matching glasses.

I just picked up some Highland Park when I was in London that has a smoky/peaty flavor. Haven't busted open the bottle yet but I'm very much looking forward to it!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

My go to drink is Johnny Walker Red. I like it, yet it's cheap enough that I don't mind waterning it down with ice or mixing it with coke. If someone else is buying, I'll take a Johnny Walker Green. And if someone else is buying from the top shelf, I'll take a Johnny Walker Blue.

I had some blue once when on vacation...imo, not worth it.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Neat - Oban 14, Jameson Gold

Wet - Tallisker 10, Jameson 12

On the Rocks - Makers Mark 46

Manhattan - Makers Mark, Knob Creek

Old Fashioned(Sazerac) - Redemption, Bulleit

Yes, I take my whisky/scotch/rye seriously. It's just so yummy.

I have a feeling we are going to be good friends seth :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I had some blue once when on vacation...imo, not worth it.

Yeah, I went to a wedding in New Jersey in January one time - and the service was outside, on the bay in view of the Statue of Liberty. Bitterly cold, but the reception was held inside the restaurant there. The bride's father is a liquor distributor, and the restaurant was one he supplied. So it was an open bar and for the first 2 hours or so, the top shelf was open. I had 3 JW Blue's before the top shelf was closed, then switched to Black. Once I had fully tied one on, I'm pretty sure I switched to Red+Coke (there was a shuttle from the reception back to the hotel, so no driving).

The JW was great, but I agree - I'm not paying for it. The most expensive scotch i had on that trip was a single glass of Glenmorangie that cost $40 (again I wasn't paying - it was the rehearsal dinner and the hosts insisted we all get an after dinner drink from the supplied menu).

Oh yeah while we're at it, my favourite discovery from my holiday in Australia last year

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1749[/ATTACH]

They don't sell it pre-mixed in the UK which is a shame but at least I've found a few bars that sell Bundy rum so I can get a mixer!

post-4562-13567243335336_thumb.jpg

post-4562-13567243335336_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Of course it's mixed in aussie; everything arrives upside down!

Well if we wanna talk favourites and not what I happen to drink because I'm a cheap college bastard, I love me rum :) definitely spiced, and I'm finding I enjoy the dark ones (like the new kraken) as well. Either straight or with a splash of coke, and I do mean splash.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

@seth & Bigm Bulleit is my favorite rye right now... So good - smooth and a little spicy, and delicious with a bit of anything mixed in.

Right now I'm on a rye kick, but since moving to the southern midwest burbon has come on the menu hard-core. I have four bottles of it in my cupboard right now. My brother also got me some amazing sipping rum which I'm quite enamoured wiht.

Jameson is always in stock at my house and at least once a year I'll splurge and get the 15 year old bottle

In addition to our cabinet in the kitchen where we keep the rum and liqueurs, I also have one of those old-style globes that opens up. I've keep a bottle of JW Red in there, a bourbon of some sort (for my in-laws), and a tequila.

I also have one of those old-style globes that opens up.

A decanter? I've always been worried about using those as I don't want to oxygenate the scotch too much. There's nothing worse than losing a $80 bottle of scotch because too much air got in or the cork was improperly fit.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...