Forums are back in action! ×

Back from the dead...literally

I used to be really active and despite having a congenital heart defect, until...one day it caught up to me. I had open heart surgery in October and lets just say that chunks of my heart are now officially sponsored by Dupont and during the surgery I was dead for about 20 minutes ( it was planned so for some reason that's comforting). I gained weight in recovery and now I am back on the track to living life to it's fullest!!! This websie is the best motivator I have seen in years. MY goal is to shed the slight chub that I gained from laying on the couch recovering and get back to being a full fledged warrior in the rebellion! Trying to go Paleo whenever I can! Did my first pullup after post surgery two days ago...WOOHOO!!!!! I live in sunny so cal and back all my brother and sisters in the area.

Far out mate.... that is a crazy comeback.

Good to see you're back with the living, considering a few of the guys running around here are serious about quelling any signs of a zombie incedence.

What kind of exercise has the doctor limited you to or recommended to you?

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Well, Pat. Mostly I am restricted by the bone breakage and muscle strains(they had to crack the strenum and of course wreck havoc on the pectoral muscles in route to the heart). Of course they had given me the "in moderation speech" and I carefully check my muscles for tightness, etc. I lost a lot of strength but gaining it back each day. As to cardio, they said just do what feels good.

good story, welcome back!

Level 2 Rebel
STR: 5    DEX: 1    STA: 7    CON: 6    WIS: 4    CHA: 4

"The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward."

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

I, too, have some Dupont dacron in my heart (aortic aneurysm repair 10 years ago). Wish I'd known about the importance of strength training and paleo diet back then. Been strength training for 13 months now and fine tuning my diet. Down from 23% to 13% body fat so far.

Found this site last month and enjoyed reading the blog.

1: I will hereby never again whine to my trainer about my scar tissue when doing chest presses, as it's about 33 years older than yours.

2. Check your PMs, I have a (g-rated) proposition for you. :-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)