Forums are back in action! ×

Hi from suburban Melbourne (Australia)

Hi everyone,

I happily stumbled upon the rebellion earlier in the year, in my quest to make my new years resolution of getting fit a success! I've read a heap of the articles on the site and it's really helped the so far not terribly well organised workouts I've been doing to date and I'm starting to get a sense of planning to my..well plan!

I do usually eat fairly well and I'm only about 5 - 10 kg above my ideal weight, though being not only a nerd but a techno-nerd, I have led a fairly sedentary life these past few years so I do feel I'm fairly unfit. My wife and I have our first child just starting to run around now at 14 months and I guess my main goal is to be able to keep up with her as she grows and has the energy of a kid - to be able to piggy back and carry her when she doesn't have that energy, and overall to feel that extra sense of 'life' and happiness you get when you are active. Also after a car accident a few years ago, I do find I get some stiffness in my neck / back if I don't look after them and the physio suggested stretching and strength exercises would be very good for that too.

So far this year I've put aside 5 mins (almost) every morning just after I get up to do bodyweight exercises (push ups, reverse crunches, sit ups, pull ups etc (ok, almost pull ups!) - while it might not be much, I figure it's a solid starting point, and something I really don't have too much excuse not to be able to find the time to do. I'm in the process of investigating / buying my first set of dumbbells to add some weights to my reportoire and tomorrow I'm going to try and get up early enough to make my routine 20 mins.

So now that you know who I am (and thank you for reading btw!) I'm off to get ready for an early night before tackling the next step in my fitness regeime tomorrow morning!

All the best to all of you and I look forward to continuing this journey together!

Regards

Quentin.

From one Melbournian to another, welcome.

You're right, 5 minutes isn't much, but it's a start, and you have to start somewhere. Don't let anyone tell you that 'only' 5 minutes isn't worth it. Turn 5 into 10, then in to 20 and you are winning.

When I first started, I had a 40 second squat routine every morning, then that became twice a day, then four times a day.

Now I'm doing a 20 minutes workout four mornings a week and a quick 5 minute routine 4 nights a week, plus all the little things, like taking the stairs, walking to the further kitchen, these all add up and me moving more and doing more.

Stick with it Brother, you'll see results soon enough.

This is my weekly Blog, From Fat to Bat; one man's journey to be Batman...

This is my Intro thread...

Convict Conditioning:: Push Ups - lvl 2 || Squats - lvl 1 || Pull Ups - lvl 2 || Leg Raise - lvl 1 || Bridges - lvl 1 || Handstands - lvl 0

Current Body (2012.02.12) :: 5'10" || 270 lbs || Waist: 48" || Thigh: 25" || Arms: 14" || BF%: 36 || Young Bruce Level

Thanks everyone!

Apologies for not popping back in here to say hi again - Things are going well, I've joined the current 6 week challenge (Squad S) and I've got a set of dumbbells since I introduced myself here - I've also progressed to working out for half an hour 3-5 times a week - I've been doing the beginner bodyweight routine but migrating now to the stronglift 5x5 program now I have my dumbbells and I've converted the garage into our little gym now so it's good to have 'a place'.

That's a great pic you've got there StrenghIsBeauty - and a reminder of not only one of the rewards of getting fitter, but also one of the benefits of the journey - getting outdoors to walk / run / ride a bike not only helps build fitness, but also gives you the opportunity to appreciate the beautiful views we have all over our world!

Regards

Quentin.