Forums are back in action! ×

Preparing for the inevitable nuclear apocalypse

Hi Rebels!

25-year-old UK nerd originally from the East Midlands but now dwelling in darkest North Essex. 

I've joined NF because after about five years (I know, I know) of trying and failing to get healthier, I'm finally ready to actually do it. 

Currently I'm at my highest ever weight (173lbs at 5'5") and feeling sick, fat and, frankly, miserable. I got married to my awesome partner in crime last summer and we have both unfortunately packed on those happy pounds. He is super supportive and on his own level up mission. My mission is essentially just to lose my jiggle and my sad, and get my awesome back. 

I've started back at the gym after a long absence and so far it's going ok, I hope. I tend to do about 30min of cardio (broken down into 3 X 10min sprint sets, because I have no stamina) and the rest is free weights. I'm aiming to continue training 3-4 times a week, but I really need to put a battle plan together as I go in there with no clue...

As for food, I'm fairly sure I'm addicted to sugar and am trying to break the snacking habit. I love unprocessed foods and veggies, and love to cook, but I think portion sizes let me down more than what I eat. Going to start prepping lunches for when I am at work as per the awesome recent posts on meal planning. 

Now the important bit - nerdery :D I'm into a little bit of everything. I'm a console gamer (the Fallout series, Left 4 Dead, Portal, anything by Telltale) and Clasher, Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire and Discworld lover, Batman fan, member of the Rebel Alliance, and also love Marvel comics/movies. Favourite TV is GoT, Star Trek (esp TNG), X Files, Buffy, Breaking Bad, Blue Bloods, Castle and Dr Who. On the non-pop culture side of things, I'm a linguistic nerd, speaking English and Spanish fluently, French passably, and butchering bits of Italian and German whilst attempting to learn them.

Looking forward to getting back on track with life and meeting some fellow Rebels. <3 sorry for the essay, if you got this far thank you for sticking with me :) 

Hey!

Scottish Nerd checking in! :)

You're almost exactly where I was three years ago. Seriously, same weight, same height, similar issues with food (although it was munchy boxes which were my downfall rather than sugar), even similar time post-wedding. I eat more now than I ever did when I was bigger but wander around about 63-64kg and wear a size 8. ;) 

I'm here to say, "You can do it!" because you can. :)

Feel free to PM me if you fancy a chat.

Sundae

• Like 1

Hello both :) 

Sundae - that's so encouraging to read, thank you for that! I feel so far away from my goals at times it's really helpful to know it's not an impossible quest. (Plus Hubs' family is Glaswegian, so that's cool too. ;) )

Thank you for the advice, Captain! I've given up before due to getting discouraged and not seeing the results I wanted immediately. This Padawan needs to learn some patience, obviously.