Forums are back in action! ×

1 month of NOS (no smoking)

Image result for picture of angels blowing trumpets

Officially met the bench mark of 1 month of NOS (No Smoking). Mar 11 - April 11

How I did it:

1) Built up a bunch of small successes unrelated to smoking in the 3 months prior to my quit.  Most of these were fitness related.  That built up my confidence. 

2) Started taking Wellbutrin.  Not sure how big an affect this had.  I tried it before and failed to quit.  But I was using it this time so it probably helped.

3) Committed to quitting and stayed focused.  Decided this was my only measure of success for the last month.  Everything in life was second to this.

4)  Although I did not join it, I when to whyquit.com quite often for inspiration, information, and just to see I was not alone in the struggle.  I strongly recommend anyone quitting to use this site whether they join or not.  It's the most informative site their is and is totally nonprofit which means its not influenced by drug companies trying to sell NRT.  (although whyquit.com advocates not using any drugs to quit)

5)  Whenever I was having overwhelming urges or particularly hard struggles, I came here to distract myself and get refocused.  Endlessly whined on my challenge thread and battle log about the struggle (and will continue to do so as needed).  This helped distract me and got me through the constant urges and helped me say no to that consistent voice in my head saying "just 1 more".

6)  Got support from others on NF.  Just knowing others were reading my threads and giving me feedback was a huge help.  Thanks to all for your support.  I mean it when I say I would not have gotten here w/o you.

Now I must be even more diligent.  Reaching a milestone is cause for celebration, but can lead to dropping your guard (and the dark part of your mind will use it to suggest you deserve a reward or you can handle the occasional smoke now).  Milestones are great, but as a nicotene addict, I have to remember "one day at a time".  Some days will be good, some days will be a real fight.  But everyday will be free from nicotene.

How I looked at cigarettes on Day 0 of NOS:

Image result for rocky balboa pictures

Me on day 3 of NOS:

Me now:

(Unfortunately I've picked up a new habit.  I've started posting gif's.)

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Congrats!  I've never been a smoker, but my mom has.... and I've often wondered how difficult a habit this would be to break.  Congratulations on this... and best of luck kicking the habit completely!

• Like 1

April Challenge::Introduction

Level 7 Ranger (28/500)::Epic Quest Character (under construction)

Topherdrew

Sam Wilson: "When do we start?"... Steve Rogers: "We just did." -- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

Congrats!  I've never been a smoker, but my mom has.... and I've often wondered how difficult a habit this would be to break.  Congratulations on this... and best of luck kicking the habit completely!

Hardest thing in my life to quit.

Congrats! Kicking the habit sucked for me. I just replaced it with caffeine in the end lol, probably not the healthiest of plans. But it does get easier :D

Thanks, how long has it been for you?

Current Challenge 

Great work!  The first month or two is the hardest.

I ended up replacing my smoking with running.  So far so good.  One thing that nags me is that I'll still occasionally want to smoke.  It's been five years, but still every once in a while it crosses my mind.  Just keep the Rocky gifs coming.  I run faster in the snow and I wear a grey sweatsuit.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Great work!  The first month or two is the hardest.

I ended up replacing my smoking with running.  So far so good.  One thing that nags me is that I'll still occasionally want to smoke.  It's been five years, but still every once in a while it crosses my mind.  Just keep the Rocky gifs coming.  I run faster in the snow and I wear a grey sweatsuit.

Thanks.  Running for smoking is a pretty nice trade.

I've heard the urges never completely stop.  Just get further apart.  

Current Challenge