Forums are back in action! ×

What's worth measuring?

Aside from weight and body fat percentage, which indicators of health and fitness do you think are worth measuring?

I bought myself a blood pressure monitor today and ordered some ketostix. Any other suggestions for good metrics for an analytical nerd as he continues to lose weight, get fit and become generally 'ripped'?

Here's what I'd suggest, as far as things you can quanitfy - MirGSS' suggestions are a good starting point.

1. Leanness - can be BF% or other measurements(waist, etc.)

2. Strength - pick a lift or three and track your improvement

3. Cardiovascular performance - direct testing of VO2max may be tricky, but timing yourself running a mile(or biking some fixed distance) is easy. Alternatively at some point you could run the same distance/speed and track your heart rate.

4. Health markers - various aspects of blood work

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Measurements also depend on how far along you are and what you are trying to achive.

For me, at the moment looking for fitness and weight loss, it's all about three things, pounds on scales, inches around my belly and my body fat % according to the US Navy. I want all these numbers to go down.

Once they are in the zone I want them to be, in order, 219, 34, 12, then I will look into more of the other like, max weight lifted, number fo reps, vertical leap inches.

This is my weekly Blog, From Fat to Bat; one man's journey to be Batman...

This is my Intro thread...

Convict Conditioning:: Push Ups - lvl 2 || Squats - lvl 1 || Pull Ups - lvl 2 || Leg Raise - lvl 1 || Bridges - lvl 1 || Handstands - lvl 0

Current Body (2012.02.12) :: 5'10" || 270 lbs || Waist: 48" || Thigh: 25" || Arms: 14" || BF%: 36 || Young Bruce Level