Forums are back in action! ×

The Amazing Disappearing Man!

I have been lurking for about 2 years now, and figured I should join the forums and post and introduction, since I am starting to come out of my shell and post on the forums.

Well a little about me.

I first found this site from Steve's post on The Art of Manliness site around Feb. or March of '10. After reading that article and coming over to the NF site to read almost everything there, I decided I needed to loose some weight and be a healthier me.

Well, days turned into weeks and months. I took my first picture of me, and took my measurements in June of '10. At 415 I was bordering on the DAMN! phase (according to Gabriel Iglesias). I decided to start eating less and eating healthier, but I still wasn't "All in" with working out regularly or recording anything I was eating or doing.

Fast forward to the end of December of last year. After several resolutions gone past, and telling myself I need to DO something, I decided that 2012 is going to be my year. I bought the AccuMeasure tools, and took my measurements on January 3rd. Weighed in at 393. 22 pounds wasn't bad for just occasionally eating better and less with just normal everyday activities, but I knew I can do more.

On 1/10 I tried a class at the fitness center at my work, and found that is not for me (my wife liked it though, and goes to 3 classes a week). I started reading all the material I could on the NF site, and created a workout to fit into my schedule. I also decided to get the Fitness and Strength guides to read through those and get some structure to what I am doing, and make sure I am on the right path to a healthier me.

I started tracking my meals with MyPlate on the LiveStrong site on 1/13, and limiting myself down to 1500 to 1600 calories of "healthy" calories per day around 2/4. Also a few weeks ago I stumbled on the SL5x5 method, and started to incorporate that into my schedule.

Currently I am doing SL5x5 Mon. & Fri.; Body Weight circuit routine Wed.; and Interval Cardio (stationary bike) on Tues. & Thurs. This has been the past 3 weeks for me.

As of last Sat. (2/11) I am down to 370.4. When I saw that I was like, "I just lost the same weight that it took me a year and a half, in a little over a month! Imagine what I can do this year!" Needless to say this has fired me up to keep pressing on, and be the best me I can be (say that 5 time fast, lol).

So that is a little of my history, and where I am planning on going for the next year or so.

We'll see where this Health Quest takes me, and I'm glad to be a part of this Epic Crew!

This is pretty much exactly my story - I also chose 1600 calories as my goal, and after I was down 96lbs and joined a gym, I ended up raises it to compensate for my increasingly intense activity level (stronglifts, etc).

To answer MirGSS: when you have a lot of fat stores, you can get away with a very big deficit since your body has plenty of fuel to burn. At 1600 calories, I had no issues with energy...it was the opposite in fact, my energy levels went through the roof.

Read more here: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/07/15/reader-spotlight-learn-how-matt-lost-157-pounds-in-one-year/

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Wow...that's an awesome transformation!

Sorry I was just lurking on the MFP forums and reading all the posts of "I'm only eating 500 calories a day, why aren't I losing?" Why I read them? I don't know. Masochism?

Aaaaaanywhoo...

Oh snap! Bur, I just noticed you're in Michigan. Where????

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thank you everyone for the kind replies.

Actually 67alecto was kind of an inspiration that I could do 1500 to 1600 a day. After I got the deluxe Fitness guide, and listened to Steve's interview with him, I figured I was kind of in the same position (him being just a little more than where I was at). So THANK YOU Matt! You have been a great inspiration to all of us "big" guys.

Once I start getting down to a lower weight, and lifting heavier weight, then I know I will need to up it a bit. Really my energy levels are fine. I end up feeling awesome after my workouts. I think my body is just excited I am actually doing something! lol

I grew up in the Detroit area (Novi actually), but I am out in the Grand Rapids area now. Went to school out here and just decided to stay. Where are you at MirGSS?

Wow...that's an awesome transformation!

Sorry I was just lurking on the MFP forums and reading all the posts of "I'm only eating 500 calories a day, why aren't I losing?" Why I read them? I don't know. Masochism?

Aaaaaanywhoo...

Oh snap! Bur, I just noticed you're in Michigan. Where????

Dear lord stay off the MFP forums. They are a cess-pool of dr oz and broscience mixed in with a lot of older people that don't know how the internetz is supposed to work.

I used to post there, but after being drowned out time and time again by ZOMG WATER OMFG NOT LOZING WAT ROFFL LETS PLAY FORUM GAMES, I figuratively threw my hands in the air, figuratively punched my laptop in the face, and then axed myself.

... figuratively.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Dude I know....I was bored. There are 1 or 2 people there that know what they are talking about, and I don't know how they have the patience to answer everyone's questions who can't be half arsed to do even an iota of research.

Also, someone on there pointed me toward nf...so, it's not all bad!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8