Forums are back in action! ×

Should I be sore?

So the common thing I see from a lot of people who are working out and especially lifting weights is how sore they are. I don't seem to have that problem and I'm worried it's because I'm doing something wrong. A little info: I want to lose about 100lb still, so quite a bit overweight. I'm doing barbell training now using the rebel strength guide routines. I've also added in some high impact stuff, like jump rope and burpees to help burn fat (advice I've received) Now at the end of my 45 minutes I'm huffing and puffing and want to fall down. I do my stretches and call it a night. I've had a few small kinks but nothing major. I'm afraid I'm not pushing myself far enough but at the same time my general fitness level is such that I run out of breath way before I run out of muscle. Any advice or ideas? Just keep working at it and be grateful I don't hurt? I've been blogging my workouts in the 6 week challenge threads for anyone curious about specific routines.

http://nerdfitness.com/community/blog.php?51-Johnny-s-mission-to-alter-life-in-2012

LvL 2 - Viking Adventurer (Warrior in Training)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 5 | WIS 5 | CHA 5

Current Challenge ~ Fit Bit Profile ~  Rogue Squadron ~

~ YouTube ~ @JConfidence ~ Facebook ~

I wouldn't worry too much about it, soreness is not a great indicator of workout productivity.

If work capacity is a limiting factor (getting out of breath), it won't be for very long, the body adapts relatively fast to that issue. The clock is a very good indicator. As long as you are pushing yourself hard and not spending the whole time chit chatting and "recovering" unnecessarily, if you are working out 45min+ you got a good workout (just don't go too long). Progression, increasing weight/reps/sets/duration/intensity, will take care of the rest. You seem to do a lot of low/high rep stuff, the worst of the soreness tends to come from the mid rep ranges, 10-12 or so, where you end up with the most lactic acid buildup.

As your work capacity increases, thus the weight/reps/sets, the soreness will come. It took me a solid 2-3 months before I built up to sufficient intensity to have significant soreness afterwards.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Waldo nailed it. Soreness does not always equal a good workout. Even then, there are different kinds. DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) come on at least 12 hours after you've finished exercising. Soreness immediately afterwards can mean that you're working hard, or that you've injured something. Don't seek it out. If you feel like your workout is effective, don't sweat it. Especially starting out with uneven muscular and cardiovascular fitness levels, it may be a while until you feel they're on even footing.

As far as improving your fitness, you're on just the right track: short sprints. Try some tabatas (20sec on, 20sec off x8) with jumping rope, sprints (treadmill, bike, ergometer), mountain climbers, or anything else that get your heart rate up.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I found i was only sore the first few days of working out when my muscles were not used to the lactic acid build up. Now I might feel a bit drained but by the next day I am fine. Just keep up the good work!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!