Forums are back in action! ×

Doomsday preppers?

Now the show just came out and some of these people are crazy, but im wondering has anyone here done anything to prep for...... nuclear war/zombies/super volcanos/alien invasion/economy crash/etc..

I always have a wshtf pack and a decent garden. And I collect swords and have a gun, but I wouldnt call myself a prepper.

Anyone else ready?

I thought this topic's title was "Doomsday Peppers"...I was hoping for something along the lines of Chief Wiggum's Insanity Peppers.

Insanity+Pepper.jpg

"the merciless peppers of Quetzalacatenango… grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum"

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

My wife and I grew up Mormon, so prepping is normal. We have more bullets than beans or bandaids though.

With bullets, and the right attitude, beans and bandaids should be attainable...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

detailed looting plan should anything happen. Not to survive, but because looting seems like such a thrilling activity.
YES!! I had stuff planed around a sharehouse I once lived in. FYI, a blackout is a good way to see who will wander out into the street and have a look. Generally, they are the people who will die/be killed first in any proper disaster, so you can safely loot their house on day two.
I thought this topic's title was "Doomsday Peppers"...I was hoping for something along the lines of Chief Wiggum's Insanity Peppers.
So did I, I was looking forward to links of hot sauces and whatnot. Maybe we should start a thread on it.

This is my weekly Blog, From Fat to Bat; one man's journey to be Batman...

This is my Intro thread...

Convict Conditioning:: Push Ups - lvl 2 || Squats - lvl 1 || Pull Ups - lvl 2 || Leg Raise - lvl 1 || Bridges - lvl 1 || Handstands - lvl 0

Current Body (2012.02.12) :: 5'10" || 270 lbs || Waist: 48" || Thigh: 25" || Arms: 14" || BF%: 36 || Young Bruce Level

I am. Week's water, year's food. That's not crazy that's smart. Depressions happen, natural disasters happen, unemployment happens... and there are plenty of self defense options at the house, enough for years.

Exactly. I learned my lesson last year, during the March 11th earthquake in Japan. The quake was much further north, but we still felt the effects here in Yokohama. There were food and water shortages, and it was unnerving to walk into a supermarket and see empty shelves. Local geologists are predicting a 70% chance of an over 7 magnitude quake in the Tokyo/Central Japan area within the next four years, so that could be me. Since last year, I've had a bug out bag prepped, several liters of water, and in case it happens again where I don't have to evacuate but there are food shortages, I have a week or two's worth of food in my closet.

I'm not as prepared as I'd like to be, and I'm always telling myself I need to get on the ball and finish off my shopping list, but when you're safe and comfortable it's hard to remember that bad times might come. Oh, it's expensive. Oh, I don't want to spend all that money. Oh, it can't happen to me.

It's not the end of the world you should be preparing for, it's a disaster like the Tohoku earthquake or hurricane Katrina that are far more likely.

I've read Zombie Survival guide and when I go places (pubs, restaurants, public toilets etc) I usually plan what I would do if hundred of zombies suddenly descended by thinking about what my escape route would be and eyeing up the objects around the room to see what would make a good weapon. I usually look for things like air vents in the ceiling for an escape and fire extinguishers as a weapon. But that's completely normal right?

My family have a good chuckle at me but guess who they'll all be running to when the inevitable happens!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Here is the thing on MRE (I have several boxes worth) if you don't have a potable water supply they do you no good. Yeah, you can eat a lot of it without water but just having MRE doesn't help much. Also the whole 2000 calorie in MRE "fact" only happens if you eat everything in it include the non dairy creamer. So generally when given a MRE to eat most people only eat at most 2/3 of the total calories.

In terms of other prep I have plenty of firearms and ammo in my house. Food (above) I got covered. It's the water situation I need to correct given I live in a hurricane zone. Water and a bug out kit for the husband, me, and my pets.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

Like Rosie, I make action plans in my head wherever I go. I may take it a little too far my day dreaming entire situations in my head, start to finish.

I don't think I'm a full fledged doomsday prepper but it seems inevitable. For now I have weapons hidden all over my house (where my child can't access them) and I do battle drills in case someone breaks in and tries killing or kidnapping me or my son... This means I have a plan of attack from every room in my place. Most of them end with an axe to the knees.

I hoard clothes, blankets, water, and emergency gear in my car--I visited my parents here in Oklahoma before moving here and was stuck in a blizzard. I am terrified of being caught in snow and freezing to death.

My weird preparations actually paid off once, as we were caught in a flash flood in Okinawa. I was cruising the internet when i found a blow up kayak for sale and bought it in case typhoon season got out of control. My ex Wanted to go eat lunch on a rainy day and (winner he is) thought he was going through a shallow puddle but it was actually a sinkhole. Our jeep started floating, sank, and began filling up with water. He really sat there and told me "I don't know what to do" so I told him to drown, hopped out of my window, got my son through his window, lifted him above my head and walked through the water to my house. It was only about 150 yards but the water was chest deep and I was holding my child above my head. I'm pretty sure the adrenaline from wanting to shoot my ex husband assisted in my hulk strength. He followed me out eventually and I made him watch the baby while I took my kayak and snorkel/mask to go find my purse and other important items.

Jediknightingale

Elf- Ranger

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 1 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Sweat is fat crying

Guest Snake McClain

I am an avid reader/podcast listener of survivalist things. What I have read so far (but have yet to put anything into practice)

Garden. Always have a garden. There are some sweet and bad ass ways to make a green house on the super f***ing cheap too. Using some plexiglass and an old screen door (glass needed obviously). Also you build said green house off the ground a couple feet. like on a plat form. Have a metal rod/pole in the center of green house running down into the ground. then take all your trash and use it as compost and pile it around the metal rod, thus creating some serious fucking heat to keep green house warm. it can (if i remember reading correctly) convince the veggies it is a more tropical climate due to the heat and peppers can grow pretty healthily.

Guns:

I've heard everyone should have basically four guns.

1) BB Gun for varmits (think fall out)

2)Pistol for more personalized protection.

3) Shot gun for bigger game hunting.

4) One machine gun type weapon (i.e. ak47/ar15/etc)

Regarding heat and energy that is sort of on each individual. I am not a person who needs electricity or heat to survive as long as I have a tent and enough layers. Water is simple. find water.

Also you should have a way to make a fire no matter what your situation. Also a bladed weapon for things that needed bladed things. Skinning and all that.

Personally I have not put any of this into practice as money is an issue when it comes to things and I don't have my own property to grow my food on. However I did take survival training for a week when i was in the air force and I got some interesting experience there but I'm not sure how skilled i am at it since i have not used it since. I would probably have a better chance than an average random dude but I'm no Bear Grylles (unfortunately).

sorry. long response.

bMach inness signing off.

My action plan if a zombie apocalypse happens while I'm at home is as follows:

- Get all my food items upstairs and destroy the staircase (Zombies won't be able to work out how to get up and they cant climb)

- Fill every container I can up with water including the bath and bathroom sink. Dont flush the toilet as that would be an entire tank of water gone

- Get up to the attic (closing it behind me) have a nice cup of tea and wait for it to all blow over.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

I am laughing waldo...I also have a detailed looting plan. I am gonna loot liquor, cigarettes and prescription drugs and then I will not need a single thing cause everyone will want what I have. Seriously, i will have it all!

I have what I need. I have the ability to collect water. I have a nice sharp Horry horry. I have knowledge of indigenous medicinal plants. I have the ability to survive on local forage and I have a cement basement.

Frankly, I have no fear of death at all and if the world turns to shit I will very much enjoy not being a part of the after math! Frankly though, I know that 2012 is no different than every other doomsday prediction...life will go on.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Insanity+Pepper.jpg

"the merciless peppers of Quetzalacatenango… grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum"

Me too! I actually came to this thread to talk about the chili I made today with bhut jolokia.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...