Forums are back in action! ×

Pvt Wolfman, reporting for duty!

Hey there everyone!

Long time reader of the blog, first time delving into the forums! I was actually inspired by Stacci's story, despite being a guy, and congratulations to her on the announcement from today!

So this is my story and my goals:

First, some vital statistics:

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 68kg ish

Body fat: well I'd quite like to know

Previous exercise history: well I played rugby for 4/5 years at school, then got to university and that all fell out the window. I did some refereeing, which was a fair bit of HIIT, and some strength training, but then dropped the strength over the holidays, and obviously I can only referee during the season (Sept - May). Second year was more of the same, then third year (now) I'm spending abroad as part of my degree (I study languages, French and Russian), so last term I was in Russia (Siberia) and this one I'm in Belgium. Siberia doesn't exactly have the best sports facilities, but I managed to get a swim in 2/3 times a week. Now I'm in Belgium and there's a good gym only 5 minutes from my flat.

Food-wise, I've always eaten home-cooked food but it was always fairly carb-centric. Now that I cook for myself most of the time, I can go far more Paleo. I mainly get lots of chicken, vegetables and other meat and then generally eat lots of stews, and then bacon, bacon, and more bacon. I'm lactose intolerant so that's dairy out the window, although I'm partial to a small amount of cheese sometimes, particularly the good French kind (easy to get here!).

Being at university (particularly in the UK, not so sure about the US) the culture is based round drinking. Lots of things involve getting drunk, and this is a massive problem for me and my goals (below), I'm sure it's what stalled me at previous attempts at reaching them. So alcohol is going to be my number one enemy throughout this, not that I'm an alcoholic!!!

In terms of goals, my main problem is my body fat. I have a bit of a belly which I'd love to lose, and I'm sure it's at least partially alcohol related. I have taken pictures, too.

I have no idea what my body fat percentage is, but I'd love to know how to work it out if any of you can help, so I can set a more specific goal, probably 10% or less.

How am I going to get there?

Well, when I was training before I used Mark Rippetoe's 5x5, Squats, deadlifts, bench, press and pullups, 5 sets for 5 reps. As far as I'm aware, diet and heavy lifting is the way to lose fat, but I'm always open to suggestions and any help would be greatly appreciated!