Forums are back in action! ×

Needing some exercise ideas

Hi all, little bit of a back story first. My wife was in a small wreck a few weeks ago and thankfully she came out of it okay. Her right arm though has several inflamed muscles which making using her arm difficult and painful. She's getting physical therapy for it now but would like to be able to come workout with me at the gym. Unfortunately I do a lot of free weights and SS exercises which she simply can't do at the moment. Basically her entire arm from the shoulder down is useless for working out and she can't even have weight placed on her shoulder either. So I'm trying to find things we can do together at the gym and wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions or ideas.

My list so far:

Bodyweight squats

Lunges

Linear leg press

Sit-ups

Cycling

Treadmill/walking dogs

Stairs

Yoga

Please keep in mind that while she can move her arm freely, moving it a lot and quickly can get painful. That's why I we aren't doing something like dancing or zumba.

I'd appreciate any ideas you guys might have for us. She's been really bummed about not being able to workout with me so I'm hoping this will help some.

I'd keep going with the cardio stuff (cycling, treadmill) and add some more squat variations to keep things interesting. There are a ton out there that can be done unweighted (pistols, Hungarian split squats, wall sits) if you don't mind a lot of leg days in a row. Are there any of her PT exercises that can safely be recreated in the gym?

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

ouch that is rough. i hope she feels better soon! in the meantime, yeah, i think your list kind of covers it. squats, lunges. maybe step class if she keeps her hands by her sides or on her hips...just be careful about balance...without the ability to stabilize herself with her arms (or catch herself if she falls) it gets a little dicey. how long til she's expected to recover?

ouch that is rough. i hope she feels better soon! in the meantime, yeah, i think your list kind of covers it. squats, lunges. maybe step class if she keeps her hands by her sides or on her hips...just be careful about balance...without the ability to stabilize herself with her arms (or catch herself if she falls) it gets a little dicey. how long til she's expected to recover?

They can't give her an estimate on the recovery time because there might be possible damage to the rotator cuff as well. It's going to be a few months at minimum though.

Wow, that looks useful. Thanks!

Yeah. Just read the testimonials: http://s122196.gridserver.com/testimonials

Just an update about this mobility WOD you made for me. I have the guys in my water polo club who have sufferd from these shoulder injuries totally converted. Some hard stats as a result of those 8 players using your WOD are as follows:

7 Players now have no soreness post game (apart from normal muscle fatigue)

1 play had a shoulder recon – so he is out of the picture (Thats what your get from leaping for a ball at full extension and a 220LB jerk grabs his fingers and pulls)

From those 7 uninjured players their 10 x 400m time trial have decreased by an average of 5 – 8 seconds.

Strength has improved dramatically in all players

Morale of those players and their confidence that they can train harder & play harder has made a HUGE boost to the team.

We now sit 2nd on the Ladder with 2 round games to go looking very pretty for the finals.

I can smile knowing this 6 minute video was an absolute God send.

I wanted to thank you for making a difference. I have searched for a resource that would allow me to regain my mobility, without sacrificing my athletic peruits. YOU, my man, have beed the one I found. The irony is I am married to PT. The challenge is that she herself is not an athlete, and has gotten to the point she does not want to hear me groan about what hurts on me. Too many PT’s are just about getting you back to your ADL, not back to the track, or field or whatever it is you persue outside the box.

I have been following your shoulder mobility routine and have found that it is so much more effective than what I had been doing. Not due to ignarance, as I have an advanced degree in Exercise Phys, but do to the lack of movement specific training. I appreciate the fact that you yourself are a PT, and a sports practicioner. Instant street cred when I talk to other about how to get results and the source I use for info.

It has made a huge differnce in my quality of life. Even simple things like doing 400M uphill sprint repeats have become more efficient since I got my shoulder moving again, with good stabilization.

My life. My dreams.

http://dreambigsquatbigger.blogspot.com Hey! I'm actually updating this thing now