Forums are back in action! ×

Why do I suck at working out - old lady version

Reading through the threads I came across http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?7516-Why-do-I-suck-at-working-out and it seemed to ask the same question I am always asking myself. Except that it was written by a young guy, and I am a less young woman. Okay, I'm going to be 50 this year. But, like him, I workout and seem to stay skinny. I don't want to be skinny, I'd like to be strong!

I have been working out in the gym for about 6 years lifting weights, and recently started doing body weight exercise routines, too. Thanks to the HIIT workouts and a revised diet I lost that extra flab I had and got a little bit stronger, but it seems so hard to make any significant progress towards my goal of more defined muscles.

At my gym they have me doing 3x12 series, so it's hard to go up to a heavier weight, 'cause I'll never make it to 12 reps. My diet is good because I eat no gluten or lactose (intolerant) and I try to eat paleo most of the time, lots of protein and veggies, some fruit, very little sugar...

What am I missing here?

I'm older than you are and just starting out weight lifting.

I've actually got a physical therapist working with me. His take on it is that as soon as I can do 3 sets of 12 reps at a given weight I move up to higher weights and see how many I can do. I won't make it to 12 at the new weight, but so what. I just keep improving and when I get to 3 sets of 12 then I move up a weight. If the next time the new heavier weight is really too much I may back down but so far the only back down I've had to do is from a lower incline pushup to a higher one.

So I'd say if you can do 3 x 12 now then it's time to increase the weights.

FWIW I started with Lat pulls at 110 lbs. I did that for 2 weeks and then got my 3 x 12 so moved up to 120. I'll probably go up again on those as I still was easily able to do 3 x 12 at that weight. But my dumbbell work is still smaller weights, I just made it to 3 x 12 on those so will increase weights tomorrow.

Also, don't worry if one particular exercise is not progressing as fast as the others. I've been told that's fairly normal but just to keep working on it.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Edit: I know this contradicts some of what Oogiem said, but it is what is working for me. She has a different plan and it is working for her.

I'm 52 and have been doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 process (more or less) for a little over a year. If you want to get stronger, you have to do fewer repetitions with weights that are closer to your maximum for the exercise. If you can do 12 reps, then it is probably too light. While I do 'extras' outside of the 5 big movements, the 5 are the main things to get done. Back Squats, benchpress, overhead press, deadlift and barbell rows. I also highly recommend Mark Riptoe's "Starting Strength", particularly if you have an engineering background (this is nerdfitness....). Fascinating reading on the "why" of correct form rather than just "do it this way".

And yes, I'm still getting stronger at 52.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Generally, a lot of the info out there suggests that doing more reps (12-15) will work your muscle endurance rather than strength. That's why beginning strength programs typically advocate 3x5 or 5x5 rep schemes. I'd definitely move in that direction.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

To increase the strength and muscle definition I would agree on less reps, but perhaps a gradual reduction of reps with a gradual increase of weight. If you shock your body with more weight then you will stimulate muscle growth. But I would also be very diligent with keeping perfect form and not rushing yourself. Always increase in small increments. The last thing you want to do is put on as much as you can possibly lift all of a sudden and get a serious joint injury, which will be very slow to recover.

I would recommend perhaps reducing reps weekly to maybe 12 -> 10 -> 8 ->6 while slowly increasing the weight so your body can grow accustomed to the extra loads being placed on it.

This is just my take on the situation, Hope I have helped.

Lifting the Heavy Things - My Battlelog

BF3 rawr

"Those who tell the truth shall die. Those who tell the truth shall live forever".

Thanks to all of you for your input! I have been working out these past 6 years like Oogiem at 3x12, increasing weight when it gets easy to hit 12 reps, but I think I need to change my approach and try for heavier weight with fewer reps. I'll check out the programs you all have mentioned. Just wondering why the guy at the gym wouldn't give me the same advice? Why keep trying to steer me toward the machines with a high rep program?

It might depend on what you told them your goals were. 3x12 can work well as a maintenance cycle if you are happy with your current physique. But to make more aggressive changes to your physiology doing the same thing for years isn't going to be what makes it happen.

But from your avatar you look like you are starting off in fantastic shape already. :)

Lifting the Heavy Things - My Battlelog

BF3 rawr

"Those who tell the truth shall die. Those who tell the truth shall live forever".

It could also be that they are part of the group that doesn't think women should/can lift heavy.. sadly, not everyone who works in the fitness world knows what they're talking about. I look forward to hearing about you lifting big weights and helping them come to the realization that big weights= big strength.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Thanks Stavs, I have been asking for programs to increase strength...I really think they just can't believe that I really want to add muscle...it's so "unlady-like"! ;-)
Strength = Vitality!

You might want to check out body weight calisthenics for building strength. I'm just starting to look into them thanks to the blog articles I've read here.

Presumed context for women in the gym: "I don't want to get bulky!"

As for lifting, when 12 reps is easy, the next increment will make it hard to do, maybe, 8. Do 8. Then do 9 next time. And so on. Whatever the set/rep scheme, the principle is progression. Keep doing what you're doing, and you keep getting what you're getting.

What Stavs said on reducing reps. At our age, sudden changes are not good. The guy at the gym has no knowledge to draw on other than the weight machines. Plus, if you find something that works, that he doesn't know about....no more $$$ for him.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker