Forums are back in action! ×

Finally time to do something!

Hello there! I have randomly stumbled on this site and have to say.... WOW!!

I have spent most of my life battling with my weight; being 5'6 i've been as little as 110lbs and as much as 175lbs. Right now I'm at a comfortable 130lbs but I still feel "flabby", tired and generally unhealthy.

Having finally got my weight under control, I feel it's finally time to work on my fitness and improve my lifestyle. And I get the impression this website is just what I need to motivate me on my journey! I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, mostly lifting weights but do very little cardio (treadmills hurt!!). I'm also a 20 a day smoker.... something else that needs to stop! I'm just frightened of letting it go I guess. I kinda like smoking, but I know it's not doing me any good!

A little about me.... I live near London, Uk, am 26 yrs old and I'm a receptionist at a veterinary surgery as well as a part-time bar tender. I am a practising falconer and enjoy being out in the countryside, whether thats out with my birds or going for long walks (normally stopping in a couple of pubs on the way!!!). I've always had body confidence issues and will generally cover myself up at any opportunity. You won't see me in shorts or skirts in the summer!! My jeans are my lifeline :)

Having got to this point in my life spending most of my time feeling inadequate and constantly judging myself on my appearance, I realise it's time now to sort my life out. I've started reading about the Paleo Diet, and although it looks quite hard (I love my bread/pasta/pizzas!) it still looks realistic and something positive.

Anyway... I've rambled on long enough! I need to read a lot more before I really understand where to begin. But I will be frequenting these boards and hoping to learn as much as possible from you guys.

ATB!

Gem xx

Welcome Gem!

By falconer do you mean you actually train falcons to go out and hunt things? Because that is super badass.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Hi and welcome! You're in the right place for motivation and inspiration, you'll find tonns of it here! Have you read Staci's story? http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Incidentally I was talking about Wycombe Wanderers to my colleague today, they are my boyfriends local football team and who I am considering switching allegiance to as being an Arsenal fan is becoming too painful....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Welcome Gem!

By falconer do you mean you actually train falcons to go out and hunt things? Because that is super badass.

That's exactly what I do! But more hawks really. Best thing ever :)

Hi and welcome! You're in the right place for motivation and inspiration, you'll find tonns of it here! Have you read Staci's story? http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Incidentally I was talking about Wycombe Wanderers to my colleague today, they are my boyfriends local football team and who I am considering switching allegiance to as being an Arsenal fan is becoming too painful....

It was actually coming across Staci's story that brought me here! Such an incredible transformation. Makes me want to put that little bit more effort into my gym work outs! And don't support Wycombe Wanderers.... you'll only be disappointed!!!! :)

As it's the beginning of lent today I have decided to cut out bread and pasta. I don't know if this would actually be a useful thing to do, but from my brief readings so far it could help! I live at home with my mum and told her all about this so for dinner we're having salmon fillet and loads of vegetables. She is a good lady :)

I struggle in general with motivation for these kinds of thing. I know what I want to achieve, I just struggle a little at understanding the best way to go about it. I'm going to Portugal in July and I'd love to get out in the bikini and feel good in it!! It does sound rather daunting.... but I think having a gym membership will be very helpful for me. Trouble is I've got the nagging feeling in the back of my head saying "what's the point, you'll only fail".... god i hate my brain sometimes!!!!

Thanks for the welcome guys. Look forward to getting to know a few of you a little more.

Gem x

That is SO NEAT. I would love to be a falconer. Another thing for my bucket list :)

As for paleo, you can TOTALLY do it! The hardest things for me are sweets and beer. I was almost 100% full paleo for about 2 weeks and I dropped 3 lbs and felt so much better. Been struggling since then, but it was an awesome motivator.

Welcome. This is an awesome place to be. :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Wow, falcons a so beautiful! What an awesome job! Welcome?

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

welcome - glad you're here! paleo actually sounds way harder than it is but it isn't for everyone. a really good starting place i've found is to track what you eat and see how many calories, carbs, fats, and proteins you get. try it for a week or two to sort of get an idea of what you're feeding your body - are you getting 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day? if i've learned one thing here, it's that protein is probably the most important thing you consume. esp since it sounds like you are at a healthy weight but just want to change body composition a bit, this will likely be a key for you.

good luck with the smoking as well! my boyfriend has been a smoker (about half a pack a day though way more when he drinks or is around smokers) for over a decade. he doesn't particularly "feel" the urgency to quit...but he's trying. cutting back. it's tough but worth it.