Forums are back in action! ×

ready to get strong!

Hello! I've never been very athletic, so it's always been difficult for me to find a fitness routine that I enjoy and will stick to. But I've decided it's time to get serious. I want to get stronger and feel better, both physically and mentally. Combine that with my love of games and all things nerd (I used to work as an engineer, and I have had a lifetime love affair with math and numbers) and I think this is definitely the place for me to be. Happy to be here. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Excellent! Welcome aboard the USS Nerd-iprise. We're always here to help when you need us.

Some softball intro questions so we can get to know you too!

What type of engineer were you?

What are your goals for your life?

What types of things do you like to do (you know fitness-y wise)?

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Welcome Luna! Any idea what you want to do to achieve your fitness goals?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thanks, guys!

Well, I was an electrical engineer working on the power side of things rather than small scale electronics. But I actually did more work with databases, which I enjoyed quite a bit. This was a long time ago. I had to leave the engineering field because I had a brain tumor (non-cancerous) and can't concentrate for the extended periods of time necessary to hold down a 9 to 5 job.

As for my goals, I'm planning to do weight training to improve my strength and stamina. I also want to get back into yoga. I did it a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I was going to Core Power Yoga with a friend, but we fell off the wagon around the holidays and never got back on. I'm not very flexible, and the yoga helped with that as well as with the various joint and back pain I get when I'm sedentary.

I'm also planning to be more conscious about what I eat, but I have to be honest that I hate tracking every morsel that I consume and find that never works well for me. We cook mostly from fresh foods at home, not a lot of prepackaged stuff, and I rarely drink soda. But I do have a fondness for candy, baked goods, and Starbucks once or twice a week. I found that when I was doing yoga regularly I lost a lot of my cravings, and I didn't have to pay attention at all to what I was eating.

So, that's the plan in a nutshell. I did start off slowly yesterday doing some squats, pushups, and tried to do a few inverted rows. I need to get my starting measurements done so I can track my progress.