Forums are back in action! ×

Aging Hammer Thrower looking to finally get healthy

Hi everyone!

My name is Jamie, and I'm a 42-year-old father of five living in Minnesota and working as a Software Test Engineer.

In my youth I was a pretty good hammer thrower, and I am still relatively competitive today. This activity has been my main motivation to stay in generally good health, although I've been carrying around a spare tire for more than a decade now.

However, my main motivation for finally making the commitment to being very healthy came from months of having almost no energy at all, for every time I stood up out of my chair I felt this sensation of fatigue in my hamstrings that I used to only get after a big set of squats. I think I'm at the point where I'm no longer young enough to feed my body a lot of garbage and still expect good outcome. Not that I was completely unhealthy. I have always enjoyed a lot of vegetables and whole grains. My biggest problem has been portion control. I would eat emotionally, as they say, and absolutely gorge myself at the buffet when I felt stressed out.

About three weeks ago I made the change. I went to a site called myfooddiary.com in order to track my food intake while I continue with my cardio (mostly elliptical) / resistance (mostly squats/lunges/good-mornings, lower-body kettlebell) workouts. Once the weather gets nicer, I'll be outside throwing again.

However, at the site I made a very interesting discovery: that having a community of people to share things with and to help me feel accountable makes a HUGE difference. Having gotten a taste of that, I want more :) .

I will admit that I love the concept of this site (I prefer geek to nerd, but that's okay :) ), however I hesitated to join because, at least at this time, I'm not interested in the Paleo diet. I have read Steve's comments that this is acceptable and I see how there are non-paleo people here, and since the community here looks just so damned cool, I finally decided to take the plunge.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all, and sharing this five-year mission, to (wait, that's not right).

Welcome from a non-Paleo eater! I do eat fewer grains and more almond butter and try to eat more veggies since my introduction to this site but that's hardly revolutionary.

Glad to see another thrower here! I loved doing shot put and discus in high school. I only placed once (third, in discus) but I regularly beat guys who had 50 lbs on me. I like to think I was pretty good for a 5'9" 165 lb dude who ran cross country in the fall when most throwers are doing football. Why didn't I run distance in track? Because throwing heavy things is fun! My only regret is knowing almost nothing about lifting and therefore not getting strong enough to take true advantage of my very good technique. That being said I'd love to get as strong now as I was then.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Welcome Jamie,

I'm always happy to see another Minnesotan, and an older dad, and a non-paleo here. I don't know anything about hammer throwing (I ran cross country and biked in the spring), are there track meets for masters in Minnesota?

-ted

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Glad to see another thrower here! I loved doing shot put and discus in high school. I only placed once (third, in discus) but I regularly beat guys who had 50 lbs on me. I like to think I was pretty good for a 5'9" 165 lb dude who ran cross country in the fall when most throwers are doing football. Why didn't I run distance in track? Because throwing heavy things is fun! My only regret is knowing almost nothing about lifting and therefore not getting strong enough to take true advantage of my very good technique. That being said I'd love to get as strong now as I was then.

Oh, heck yes! Throwing something well and far is such an amazing rush. Sadly, though, you missed out on the best one. Hammer even takes it up a notch because with all the others (at least in Track and Field), if you do it right, you have to fight to avoid fouling. But with the hammer, you get to be perfectly on balance and just watch that baby fly (which is why hammer throwers tend to be known for screaming like maniacs when they throw).

I do know what you mean about taking pride in being a non-traditional competitor. These days, I have great fun as I beat kids who are literally half my age :)

If you ever think about getting back into something like that, you might consider the Heavy Events in Highland Games. I haven't done it in a decade, but back then they did have a 'lightweight' class (< 180 lbs). And wow are some of those things fun to throw. Not to mention the fact that people actually go to watch, and they get so excited when the guys are throwing the caber. Plus, you get to wear a skirt! Two main downfalls. At the highest levels, it's *very* political, and it's pretty hard on your body. Harder than shot/discus, but not as hard as tackle football.

Welcome Jamie,

I'm always happy to see another Minnesotan, and an older dad, and a non-paleo here. I don't know anything about hammer throwing (I ran cross country and biked in the spring), are there track meets for masters in Minnesota?

-ted

Hey Ted! Very nice to meet you.

Master's meets? Yes and no. Officially there are, but really they just tack it onto the already lame Open meets they run. USATF Minnesota is not known as a shining light in the Track and Field community. Wisconsin is much better (to my utter surprise). I've been taking a trip a year to find competition elsewhere. Other than that, I sneak into the College meets, when they'll let me.

Welcome, Jaime! Great seeing another Minnesotan on board. :)

And no worries about not being Paleo. There are a ton of people who are but also a lot who aren't, and there's a lot of great info posted under the eating guilds for all sorts of different healthy eating styles.

Aside from throwing the shot put a couple times during grade school track practice, I have no experience with throwing things (though knife throwing seems to be really awesome yet entirely unrelated to what you've been doing :tongue:).

In any event, it's great you're here, and good luck with your eating and fitness goals!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)