Forums are back in action! ×

Why is trying to be healthy a bad thing?

I cop a lot of flak for wanting to continue to improve on my fitness and because I am already with a healthy weight range but I'd still like to lower my body fat percentage, apparently it's normal to have a belly after having kids and I should just accept it, screw that, I work hard to get the body I have currently and I'll continue to work hard to have the body I desire, why should I settle for less.

I have just stopped telling people, even if people ask I refrain from telling them, I find people only ask so they can pull apart what I do. Paleo is bad, see china study blah blah, running is bad for your knees, going to the gym is boring, lifting weights means I'll look like a guy or I then hear all the reasons why someone can't do something, I don't care, if you want it you'll do it.

Grrr... sort of related: I've been carrying around a gut for a decade now, and most recently I went through a couple of months where I felt awful, and my workouts were declining. I went to the doctor and they weren't able to find anything. So instead I turned to my diet and my weight, and decided to do something about that. Now I'm eating much better, and down 15 pound of the 45 I intend to lose. My fiancée hasn't mentioned a thing about it (except for a comment about how I'm doing weigh-ins, so I know she's aware). I have way more energy, and my workouts are coming along nicely. I've dropped 2 1/4 inches at my waist. When I look in the mirror, my face looks a lot thinner.

So, last night, while we're on a 'date'. I finally ask her if she's noticing anything, and she says, "Yeah, I looked at you the other day, and I thought: I hope he doesn't go to far with this thing." I said, "Well, my *current* goal is 230." (I'm 6'1). And she looked at me like I was crazy. I mean, I get some of it. She likes big guys, and she herself hovers somewhere around 200, and trying to lose. But wow.

"Why, you aren't fat?" - I know, that's why I said get fit not lose weight

Most people equate the two. Seems like a bit of misguided (though sincere) reassurance that you shouldn't feel bad about yourself. Which is totally correct, you shouldn't, but some folks don't get that you want to improve for the sake of improvement.

"Don't be stupid" - errr, what?

Beats me. Not enough context.

"Just eat some cake" - again, what?

Eh, trollface? Could be they just really like cake.

Honestly, most responses seem to come from fear/a lack of understanding (my mother, for instance, is convinced that weightlifting will cause me to simultaneously break every bone in my body and die of a stroke/prolapse. This might be hyperbole.) or a perceived statement about their own physical condition that they have to defend themselves from. Either way, do for yourself and let the results speak.

Thanks so much guys. Coming on here and reading all your responses really cheered me up. You are all awesome and it is so nice to know there is a place I can come where people understand and support my goals. I'll probably keep my fitness goals mostly to myself away from here.

Book, I'm sure your fiancée will come around. A girl I used to know lost a load of weight and initially her husband was unimpressed as he likes big women. But eventually he realised that being healthy made her happy and meant that she would be around for him and their kids for longer. It turned out in the end he loved her new figure even more that when she was larger. She probably just needs time to adjust. :-)

I got the same sort of thing a few weeks ago. I just started my journey to reclaim my health early in January. Not doing too bad so far, down 15lbs, workouts are getting easier with alot less sore muscles the next day (time to ramp it up a notch?) Anyway....

We had a bunch of people over last weekend, and I was talking about it a bit, and I pretty much got laughed at by everyone I know. Ahh, you'll drop that soon enough.. Is that food caveman food approved.. Blah Blah..

You know what it did for me? It gave me the biggest boost to kick it into another gear, just so that this summer I can rip my shirt off and give them all a big F@CK YOU!! I'm taking it as a challenge, an inspiration.. I was doing it all for me before, but now this is like the icing on the cake to show them all up. I'm not gonna mention another word of it to them until I hit my goals..

For all the negative experiences there are some positives waiting to be had. Yesterday I was having a half 'cheat' lunch and one of the waitress saw 'The Paleo Diet Solution' sitting on the table and came over to ask about it. Had a great converstation and she seemed like she was going to give it a go.