Forums are back in action! ×

Goooood Morning.  New person introducing myself in the new person thread.  So...check.

I have a lot of long term health goals that I'd like to pursue - but for me right now the biggest lesson is to take it slow.  I love exercise, I love activities, and I have a tendency to chase 'magic bullet' solutions when I don't feel like I'm making the progress I want as quickly as I think I should.  

So my goal is to introduce One thing at a time, stick with it, and not immediately add in five other supplemental activities.

I'm on the 5/3/1 program for weights, and I've given myself the reward that after completing a full cycle (four weeks, three workouts a week) I can add in One accessory lift per workout.  

I'm doing slow cardio for half an hour, four times a week and one session of Krav Maga per week.  

To support all of that, and my plans to add to it, I'm staying on a 'Mostly Paleo' diet, and making time to do some basic mobility work every day (for now, the 'Limber 11' routine).  I've never really been patient with stretching and recovery, so that just needs to become an 'every day, no matter what' activity for me.  I'd love to make the NF Yoga program a part of the weekly routine, but for right now I'm resisting the urge to do 'one more activity'

Now, my long term goal is to be training martial arts every morning, going for a run every lunchtime, and hitting the weights when I get home (okay, that's aiming high, but you get the idea).  But not today, and not tomorrow - but when I'm ready.  In the meantime, I'll make progress on my lifts, build my endurance back up, and get a bit stronger/better/faster every day..  By this time next year I want to be able to look at my spreadsheets of planned weight progression and actually hit the goals I'm setting up now.  I'd also like to get back into running Obstacle Races - and to be in shape to actually feel good while running.

I would love suggestions on how to make it all fit together, and how to stay patient.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Rebellion! It looks like you've chosen the perfect guild - there's a reason they call it "Ranger brain." :) For someone who wants to take it slow, it sounds like you already have a pretty full schedule! Maybe add a challenge for getting extra sleep to recover from all the activity?

You might want to check out Mark Sisson's Primal Endurance, which is aimed at endurance athletes trying to avoid the worst of the damage often caused by endurance sports. I haven't read it personally, but it might have some good pointers for someone who wants to maintain their health while maintaining an extreme level of activity.

Best of luck on your journey!

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Hey! :)

It sounds like you might enjoy taking part in the 4 week challenges. It's a great way not only to integrate into the community, but to set goals and get support that helps you to stick to them. 

Theres a couple of weeks left to run on the current challenge so it's a good time to check out what other people have been doing, maybe pinch some ideas/inspiration, and get a feel for what they're like. 

If you need a hand with anything then feel free to give me a shout. :)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

17 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hey! :)

It sounds like you might enjoy taking part in the 4 week challenges. It's a great way not only to integrate into the community, but to set goals and get support that helps you to stick to them. 

Theres a couple of weeks left to run on the current challenge so it's a good time to check out what other people have been doing, maybe pinch some ideas/inspiration, and get a feel for what they're like. 

If you need a hand with anything then feel free to give me a shout. :)

Thanks very much for the welcome  -  quick clarification on the Challenges - 

From the look of things, the 4 week challenge forum is a combination of picking a challenge for myself, and then sometimes the guilds will have specific challenges as well, is that about the size of it?  My sense is that there isn't really a 'wrong' way to do things, but I'm trying to understand how the existing structure works.

You pretty much have the idea of the 4 week challenges down.

And you are right, there really is not a "wrong" way to do them   You set your own goals and your own system for grading how well you do on them.  And yes the guilds do generally (at least some of them) do have a mini-challenge that you can take part in as well although those are always optional and just for the "fun" of it...

For example:  this month the Rangers are doing an airship pirate theme min-challenge.  Last week our challenge of the week was to see how many miles we could put up (over and above any miles that were already part of own personal challenge).   This week it is body-weight squats.  Although many of our members are taking part, not all are able to and there is nothing wrong with not being able to handle the mini-challenge at any time if it gets in the way of your own challenge.

Also, as an example of a personal challenge, mine this month is lifting 3 days per week using StrongLifts 5x5 program, running using Couch to 5K program, tracking my walked/run miles and measuring my progress towards Walking to Mordor, and improving the quantity and quality of my sleep.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Wot she said^^^ :D

Yeah, there is a suggested structure, but really it's all down to you and just what you want to do. The mini-quests are totally optional and there's no pressure to take part, but they can be fun. 

Spezzy did a good post explaining it all. There's only 2 weeks left to run on the current challenge but you can look at what other people are doing and get a feel for it. And pinch ideas! ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

21 minutes ago, Jster422 said:

I will try really hard to restrain my needy blabbermouth side.  For a while.

If tat proves a problem then just head over to The Pub and you can blabber all you like. That's all the rest of us ever do in there. ;)

On 6/24/2016 at 9:28 PM, Jster422 said:

So my goal is to introduce One thing at a time, stick with it, and not immediately add in five other supplemental activities.

That is indeed the way to go about it

On 6/24/2016 at 9:28 PM, Jster422 said:

But not today, and not tomorrow - but when I'm ready.

That is a good attitude.  But... There's always a but, isn't there?  That's fine for a big goal.  Try to set specific timeframes on small goals though.

I will shed X kg eventually, as a big goal.  I will not drink any soda'st this week, for example.

10 hours ago, Jster422 said:

I will try really hard to restrain my needy blabbermouth side.  For a while.

Why would you not workout your fingers by typing?

Do you really want to be all bulky and then have scrawny fingers? :P

• Like 1

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.