Forums are back in action! ×

Hello! This is my first post. I don't play video games but I love Doctor Who and Harry Potter. That should be enough nerdiness.

Watching American Ninja Warrior has motivated me to start strength training. As of... today. I've gotten in better shape in the past, but never had a driving force behind it. I figure having a Big Ass Goal to get on the show will keep me going for longer. People have made bigger changes and made it happen.

I CAN DO IT!

Baseline

I've done the NF Beginner's Bodyweight Workout a couple times, with the advanced stretching after. The push-ups are done against my kitchen counter, as I can't do them flat yet. I could use a better, heavier weight for the rows. Right now I'm using a Le Creuset Dutch oven. Not just useful for sauteing onions!

I set a goal a couple months ago to walk at least 5 miles every day, or bike an hour and a half. On average, I've been hitting that goal. It took over two years of working up to it, but I'm fine riding or walking for a couple of hours straight. (As long as a bus doesn't crush me... Riding a bike in NYC is hairy.)

Not sure of my weight. I was last on a scale in 2015, and I was at 138. My tops have gotten a little tighter since then, so low 140's? Three or four years ago I was in the 160's. I'm 5'6", so I'm squarely in the "acceptable but not impressive" range.

I eat... better than I used to. (Not hard.) No soda, alcohol, or coffee. Very few restaurant meals. Lots of bean chili, carrots, apples, chicken, peanut butter, sweet potatoes, and brown rice, but also pasta and random dessert scavenged around my office. Even when the food is healthy and filling, I eat more than I need and when I'm not hungry. I may be the only person who can gorge on peanut butter and not feel full enough to stop. Maybe that's my superpower?

Zero upper body strength, no agility, no speed, and a tiny remnant of flexibility from my childhood gymnastics classes. If I ever want to get on ANW, all of this will need to change.

Challenge

Once the next 4-week challenge starts, mine will be:

Diet

• No crappy hot chocolate from work - drink water instead (currently drink 1-2x/week)
  • Only one granola bar or Fig Newtons thingie a week (currently 4-5x/week)

Fitness

•  Complete the NF bodyweight workout at least 2x a week (stretch goal 3x/week)

Level Up Your Life

• Floss at least 15 seconds each day (currently around 60%)

I've already walked 5 miles today and done the bodyweight workout, but I like to beat my 5-mile goal. I'm off to walk another 2-3 miles. Glad to be here, and I hope the built-in support system of the forum will help keep me focused.

• Like 1

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Very impressed you are doing 5 miles a day! Love your goals. I'm a ANW fan too. Can't help but watch it and be inspired to just go out and move.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I like the Big Goal! and the start on the path there.  We share a super power.  I'm to the point now where I only buy it on occasion because I can just open a jar and it's half gone. 

I love the use of the dutch oven.  Cast iron for the win! 

Why the 15 seconds on flossing?  Is this a new thing? 

• Like 1

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

Hey!

Wow, you've made a great start! It looks like you've found your way around the forum and figured out the challenges, like the goals btw! It might be worth you adding in a a couple of tags, like "assassins" (I'm guessing that's the guild you are looking at) and "bodyweight workout" so that the guild leader can see it and drop by.

If you don't want to wait until the next challenge starts then you can  get a head start and either make a post in the current challenge thread or just post updates on how you're getting on in here and then copy and paste your goals and your latest update into your challenge thread once the next 4 Week Challenge starts. :)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 6/26/2016 at 9:35 PM, Elastigirl said:

Very impressed you are doing 5 miles a day! Love your goals. I'm a ANW fan too. Can't help but watch it and be inspired to just go out and move.

@Elastigirl Thank you! I dragged myself out tonight in the rain to get my final 2.5 miles in. After all, a little water shouldn't scare me if I'm going to be on AMERICANNNN NINJAA WARRIOR! Very glad I did it. Since I couldn't bring my phone and listen to a podcast (COME BACK HOW DID THIS GET MADE I MISS YOU), I drilled myself on Spanish words. I'm haphazardly learning Spanish, so this was an unexpected benefit. I am now much better with months, seasons, numbers, and animals.

Another bonus: I got to be the crazy lady talking to herself and weirding out passersby.

On 6/26/2016 at 10:09 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

I like the Big Goal! and the start on the path there.  We share a super power.  I'm to the point now where I only buy it on occasion because I can just open a jar and it's half gone. 

I love the use of the dutch oven.  Cast iron for the win! 

Why the 15 seconds on flossing?  Is this a new thing? 

@ChrisWithaStick Why hello, fellow Peanut Buttian! It may be a problem, but I'm giving in to the dark side. I have four pounds stashed at both home and work. More peanut butteeeerrrrr...

I think the idea behind 15 seconds of flossing is similar to new runners setting a goal to put on their sneakers and walk out the front door. You can immediately turn around and walk back inside, but most of the time, you'll go, "I'm already out here, and I've got my shoes on... Might as well run." Set a goal to floss for only a few seconds - it's so easy! And then you've got the floss out, and you've already started...

8 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hey!

Wow, you've made a great start! It looks like you've found your way around the forum and figured out the challenges, like the goals btw! It might be worth you adding in a a couple of tags, like "assassins" (I'm guessing that's the guild you are looking at) and "bodyweight workout" so that the guild leader can see it and drop by.

If you don't want to wait until the next challenge starts then you can  get a head start and either make a post in the current challenge thread or just post updates on how you're getting on in here and then copy and paste your goals and your latest update into your challenge thread once the next 4 Week Challenge starts. :)

@Guzzi Thank you! I am somewhat of a forum connoisseur. (Is it humble-bragging when there's really nothing to brag about?) I was thinking a mix of assassins and scout. The latter doesn't seem to have much activity, and my walking is already an established habit, so I will stick with assassins. I'll add those tags, thanks.

I may start a challenge thread, but in the meantime:

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

Sunday: flossed. walked 8 miles. did beginner bodyweight exercise. stretched. won the no hot chocolate/granola bar challenges by virtue of not being at office.

Monday: tried not to limp too obviously around my office. did not drink crappy hot chocolate or eat granola bar/Fig Newtons.

• Like 2

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

On 6/26/2016 at 11:48 PM, M_J said:

I may be the only person who can gorge on peanut butter and not feel full enough to stop

You can get full on peanut butter?  I thought the bottom of the pot was the sign you had to stop (or get another pot) :)

1 hour ago, M_J said:

by virtue of not being at office

who cares why it worked, as long as it worked...

1 hour ago, M_J said:

crappy hot chocolate

I know right.  I have a machine that pretends to have hot chocolate far to close to my office.  I don't know what it is, it's definitely not hot chocolate.  I so love it though.

That was the hardest for me to cut.  My morning series of hot chocolates.

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

17 hours ago, Igaduma said:

You can get full on peanut butter?  I thought the bottom of the pot was the sign you had to stop (or get another pot) :)

Another esteemed Peanut Buttian! [Gives secret handshake to @Igaduma]

Haha, yes, the machine that pretends to make hot chocolate. It doesn't even taste that good, but it's... there. Made it another day resisting.

Started an official challenge thread: 

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge