Forums are back in action! ×

Mini Respawn: Any Muscle Pain/Strain Advice?

Hey guys!

I'm not having a serious upset in my goals, but I've missed two days of exercise due to a bit of pain and I don't like it. I didn't know where best to ask these questions, but I figure this would be a good place to start.

I'm experiencing two types of pain: First, I've started running fairly recently and I pushed myself probably a bit too hard 3 days ago. Since then I've had mild hamstring pain that feels sharper than just soreness, mainly when I walk for a long time or whenever I run. Has anyone else experienced this and have any advice to speed up recovery? Otherwise, does anyone have a good cardio replacement that won't stress my legs? (If it matters, I run on cement though I do have good running shoes.)

The other upset is that I seem to be pinching a nerve in one of my wrists. I attempted a core workout today, but I couldn't hold a push up position through the pain. I decided to do yoga instead, but I'd really like to get back into my workout routine asap and these little problems are throwing a huge wrench in my plans. I bought a lot of calcium and protein rich foods today, but I'd like to do more (stretches, yoga, habit breaking, etc.).

Any advice would be excellent as I try to work through these issues. Thanks everybody!

It's easy to get carried away when you first start running. I won't guess as to your exact injury, but I can advise taking it easy for a couple of days to help speed your recovery. Foam rolling and stretching may help as well, although if you find either increases your particular pain, you should probably listen to your body and not do it. As for cardio that doesn't involve legs... pushups, if your hammies aren't bothered by a static hold.

For the wrist pain, you can try stretches and massage. Either one can relieve tension in your forearms, which may be the cause of the nerve pain.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I am by no means a medical professional (you should ask one about both those issues, or a pro trainer to get a better idea).

As Envicious said, stretching and foamrolling are good to help your legs. Take the time to let whatever it is heal.

For your wrist, am I right in assuming you are putting your palms to the floor? That position can certainly strain the wrist. Maybe you could try supporting yourself on your fists? That would keep the wrist straight. If you have a yoga mat, this shouldn't hurt your knuckles.

Most cardio exercises involve moving your legs in some way (walking, biking, swimming, etc.), but a good weightlifting session can make your ticker pump quite a bit. With weights or bodyweight, it works. Chest presses, push ups, pull ups, chin ups, bent over rows, etc.

Good luck!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.