Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone!  I have no idea what I'm doing.  I signed up for the Academy, but I hate Facebook with the burning rage of 10,000 suns, so I thought I'd hang out here instead.  My main goals are weight lifting!  I want to be SO STRONG.  But I work a desk job in IT and I play too many video games, so I need some help with motivation.  So I figured, let's make real life more like a video game!  I mean, I spend hours level grinding on my butt, might as well try level grinding at the gym.

Anyway, it's nice to meet everyone and I hope this goes well!  Wish me luck!

• Like 1

~*****~ Food Log ~*****~ Battle Log ~*****~ Current Challenge~*****~

Hey! Welcome. :)

Have you found your way around the site ok?

What sort of lifting do you do/are you interested in? There are several very impressive Warrior Women on here to inspire you towards your goal. You should go down and check out the general chat thread in the Warriors section. I think it's called the Mead Hall. ;)

We are currently 3 weeks into the current 4 Week Challenge so. It would be worth having a look through some of the challenge threads to get a feel for how it works. The challenges are a great way to break your long term goals down into smaller, attainable goals, keeping you motivated, and a great way to meet other members and integrate into the community. 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hey, hey and hiya!

Welcome to the NF forums! Yes to all the lifting of things. The Warrior a Guild sounds like a fit for you. As @Guzzi said there are plenty of Warrior Women here. We have professional international lifters and more than a few who just like to lift, so you will find someone who can help you out if you have any questions.

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

@Guzzi

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm slowly but surely learning my way around the site.  There's so much content, I'm a little overwhelmed, but I'm sure I'll get focused as time goes on.

Most of my past and current strength training is just using dumbbells at home, but my heaviest set is 15lbs, so that really isn't enough.  I want to get into power lifting to build strength.  Luckily, my work gym has a really impressive weight room.  I work for a college, so it's the same weight room the actual athletes use.  Yay!

I'll be going there for the first time tomorrow morning at 7am, hopefully way before anyone else arrives so no one is able to witness me flopping around like a dummy ;)

I'll check out the Mead Hall and the Challenges, thanks!

@SevenofSeven

Thanks for the welcome!  I think I'll really enjoy being a Warrior and I look forward to learning from everyone!

• Like 2

Yes, there's a LOT of content on here alright! Here's some links to help you out. :)

Here is Spezzy's post explaining how the challenges work. These are really great for keeping you motivated. (I said that already, didn't I? Oh well, it must be doubly true! :D) You do your first challenge as a "Rebel" and then you can move on to join the Warriors. 

You can read some of the other Warriors challenge threads Here. Some of these people are seriously strong, some lift copetitively. Don't be put off if it all seems a bit intimidating! All of these people started out the same as you and they all remember what it was like to be the noob in the gym.  The Weightlifting and Powerlifting section is where you can ask questions and get help setting up a training schedule. (The link above takes you to a post within that section) 

Have you found a program that you want to follow yet? Many people use Stronglifts 5x5 because it's a really good beginner/intermediate program, and a lot of women like Strong Curves (I'm not sure if that's available online, i think you need to buy the book. @SevenofSeven might know). 

I hope i haven't overloaded you with too much info! I remember how hard it was trying to take it all in when I first started, lol! 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

17 hours ago, EmiWantsToLiftThings said:

I'll be going there for the first time tomorrow morning at 7am, hopefully way before anyone else arrives so no one is able to witness me flopping around like a dummy ;)

How did it go??

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

@Lifter5 It went well!  There was one person there, but she was doing her own thing all over the gym with her headphones in.  We diligently ignored each other! ;P

I did level 4a gym workout from the academy, with some modifications since the gym didn't have the rings or anything similar for the ring rows.  But I feel like it was still effective.  I ended up using dumbbells for the deadlift (50 lbs total) since setting up a barbell is still a little intimidating.

I'm taking a rest day tomorrow, but I might still go, even earlier maybe, and just mess around with practicing loading barbell weights and learning my way around.  I want to be familiar with the equipment before I start lifting anything actually heavy.

• Like 1

I ended up using dumbbells for the deadlift (50 lbs total) since setting up a barbell is still a little intimidating.

Have you thought of substituting in a Kettlebell deadlift? :)

• Like 1