Forums are back in action! ×

Hello there everyone.

This is a re-re-introduction. I started posting here once, disappeared, started posting again and then vanished again. Why did I vanish? Guess I wasn't serious about what I was doing.

See I've never been fit really at all in my life. I've always been a pretty big guy with a bit of a tummy. But I used to play rugby and I was pretty decent at it and could go the full 80 minutes.

Then I hurt myself and quit playing. Then I got divorced. And then in the last 5 years it's grown out of control. I keep starting and stopping with my fitness goals. I know it sounds kind of pathetic, 5 years of off and on.

During that 5 years I've gotten myself much stronger. I can even deadlift 525 and overhead press 225. But I can't run more than 30 seconds without having to stop and walk because my calves and ankles are burning and I'm out of breath.

I recently started back to Crossfit in December and even then I was very off and on. Then in March I did a biometric screening at work and my blood work was out of control. See even through being fat and out of shape I'd always had good blood work, good blood pressure, etc. But not anymore. Heart disease runs rampant in my family and I felt like I was starting to head down that path. Plus I weighed in at a whopping 341 pounds. Now I'm 6'4" so at least I have the height on my side, but I'm sure I'm 35%+ non the bodyfat scale.

It took a few weeks after that test but since May I've been going to Crossfit 3-5 days a week and in the last two weeks I've began walking for a few miles on an empty stomach around a local lake on weekends.

I still struggle with my diet, but I've seen part of where I fail is trying to make wholesale changes all at once. So I've began cutting things out slowly. I've gotten rid of fried food which was a big issue for me. Next on the list? Probably bread. After that? Diet soda.

And my work seems to be paying off. My soon to be wife commented that I look like I'm losing some inches the other day and I've gone from a 50 waist pants to 48.

So I decided to add one other piece of consistency to my changes. Being consistent with utilizing the knowledge and support of the Rebellion. Hope to talk to you all soon.

• Like 2

What she said^^^ :D 

its great that you've finally found the desire to change. I don't think that many people will think anything about your 5 years of stop/start-ing. Hell, that's probably not as long as I spent saying the words "I need to lose weight" without finding the motivation to actually get off my arse and do something about it. 

Think about it this way. Every person you see who isn't super-fit athletic probably wants to change something about their body. But how many of them are actually doing something to achieve it? Right?

I think you're bang-on with wanting to do things slowly this time. It's a slower change but it creates a longer lasting result. There's a new challenge going to start on the 17th if you want to join in? It would be a good way of getting some accountability on those goals of yours. They've changed the format to 4 weeks now instead of 6 so they just fly by! 

Ps. Serious congrats on what you've achieved already! :encouragement: 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously