Forums are back in action! ×

I'm blind. What's your excuse?

Oh, where to begin?

There was a time when I was an adventurer-for-hire. I hiked mountains, I climbed cliff-faces, I explored every inch of spaces which nobody else was exploring. I wasn't in great shape, but I could do what needed to be done. I was confident. I was successful. I was fulfilled. Scaling a six-story building was fun for me.

Now... now I barely get out of bed.

(I shut my eyes and pray that nobody will hear this.) See, the thing is... I went blind.

I was partially-sighted throughout the first few years of my adventuring career. In fact, that's what got me into it. People will pay a lot of money to see a blind person do the impossible.

But when the rest of my vision went, suddenly the world seemed... well, darker.

Yesterday I climbed a 40 foot rock-wall. I put 20 sighted people under blindfold for the first time and taught them to run through trees, play soccer, and become explorers for themselves-- all without the use of their seemingly vital sense of vision.

I refuse to be a victim. I will find a way or I will make one. I will make my dreams come true, and I will show others that they can do the same.

I'm 23, overweight, severely diabetic, totally blind, and I give you my word: I'm gonna make this shit look good.

I've just finished a master's degree in special education. My dream is to take these kids and say, "You know what? I didn't think I could do it, either. And I was wrong. So I'm going to believe in you even if you can't believe in yourself, and guess what? You're going to make your dreams come true. You will find a way or make one. Because I'm here for you."

I've walked five miles almost every day for three weeks. Sometimes I walk backwards with my cane in my non-dominant hand just to prove I can. I stand on the shoulder of a major road to desensitize myself to the noise. Do I have a hardcore anxiety disorder? Yes. Does my hearing overwhelm me to the point that I can barely move? Absolutely. And I'm okay with that. Because for the first time in too long, I'm living life on my terms.

Anxiety won't control me. Fear won't control me. Depression won't control me. Low-expectations sure as hell won't control me.

You know what *will* control me?

Me.

Just. Me.

I'll lose the weight. I'll gain strength. I'll stop making excuses, and I'll stop being miserable.

No, scratch that.

I already have.

• Like 6

Being blind is not an excuse. I just recently started a band. And our drummer is blind. Like completely blind, he has never seen a thing so he is blindfold blind. Still he is one of most talented musicians i've had a chance to play with. Impossible sounds just like i'm possible for a reason. Welcome to the rebellion! Happy to have you here!

Welcome to NF!

I'm glad you got back on your feet and back to living life.  Have you found your way around the site ok?  Do you need any info about the 4 Week Challenges or the Guilds?

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

Thank you! I think I'm finding everything okay; but I don't know when the next 4 Week Challenge begins. I see that this one ends on the 12th. Does the next one begin on the 13th?

Welcome to NF!

I'm glad you got back on your feet and back to living life.  Have you found your way around the site ok?  Do you need any info about the 4 Week Challenges or the Guilds?

Hi @Kage, the next challenge starts on the 17th, we take a week off in between each one. Here are the challenge dates for 2016. 

Here is a link to Spezzy's post explaining how the challenges work. It's up to you to set your own goals but the idea is to work on small changes that we can make permanent, like drinking less soda or eating more vegetables. 

You post your first challenge in the Rebel section of the Challenge sub-forum. Once you've completed that you are free to post in whichever section (or Guild) you feel is right for you. Here is a post that explains the different Guilds. It sounds to me like you might be a Ranger, their motto is: "Do all the things!"

if you need any help at all then don't be afraid to ask. I'm on bed rest just now so I have a LOT of time on my hands, (read as bored to f*ck) and I'm always happy to help. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously