Forums are back in action! ×

NYC Gym and Eating Suggestions

So I have an overnight trip to NYC over tuesday & wednesday this week, so I'll be ushering in the leap day there. I'm staying downtown this time at the Soho Grand and I think they have a gym there with a treadmill but I was thinking I would venture out to a local gym to check out if there is anything cool out there...

I looked in yelp here and it seems like Edge Gym is cool so I was thinking of checking it out... they even have a free one day pass for which I'll probably have to sit for the sales pitch. If anyone has any suggestions for other gyms in NYC I'd appreciate the 411...

Also I thought I'd check out the Dig Inn as per nightlight's recommendation for a bite to eat. Other suggestions would also be welcome.

TIA

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I posted it on your blog too, but I'd say Mesa Grill. It's awesome.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

When I lived in NYC, we used to go to this Japanese place called Ginza. We lived right near there. I always got the Bento special and it was AMAZING. Sushi and/or sashimi, miso soup, seaweed salad, vegetable rolls, and shumai. Oh man, so good. I heartily recommend them - the sashimi was MUCH better than anything I've had since coming to the UK. Also great desserts like mochi.

If you're a pizza person, Patsy's is also nearby there and does absolutely fantastic pizza, some of the best in New York - which means, of course, that it's some of the best in the world! This isn't horrid greasy plastic cheese pizza, this is lovely crisp crust, home made tomato sauce, big slices of fresh mozarella and basil leaves pizza. (Actually, Patsy's is nearby everywhere, I think they have five or six places now. Google them. :) )

Man, I'm jealous, want to go back to New York and eat stuff. I'm useless on the gyms though, I was a fat geek when I lived there! I know my mom likes Equinox, but it's very Globo Gym.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Dude, you should have given me more lead time. I would have loved to meet up with you! I got's stuff going on, but next time you come in lets have a visit! If you want GREAT steak, Keans is awesome. Downtown there are great restaurants on almost every block. I have no clue about gyms because I never lived on the island of manhattan, only brooklyn. have a blast!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

thanks y'all... i'm in nyc all the time so there will be plenty of other occasions. when i lived there i never cooked and always ate out or got take out... so easy and economical there... however I gained a lot of weight then doing that, and now I'm trying to explore healthier choices while out there... will certainly keep your suggestions in mind though for special occasions...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

ZG... the japanese restaurant that I liked was this one in battery park city because it was right on the water looking out to the statue of liberty... the food was blah but the area is park-like and serene... which is rare for manhattan...

there is so much good japanese food of all kinds in ny and it's great for fatty fish at all price points...

I guess if all else fails, there's the salad bar at whole foods in tribeca with all the nannies... hahaha...