Forums are back in action! ×

Hello Everyone! LETS DO THIS!!!!!

Hello Everyone

I was surfing the net looking for some info on weight loss and it's relation to weight training, and read a few of Staci's articles in the Strength Training 101 series. It was quite inspiring and thought to join the boards. After having a read through the forums it seems like a great helpful community, and I'm hoping this will help me keep the path.

I'm an Aussie male living in rural 'outback' Queensland. My hobbies include motorcycle track riding, simulation video games and 1/48 scale model building. So I tick that nerd box. :smile-new:

I'm here because I'm very overweight. Have been since I was a kid, and I've never done anything about it. In this new hobby of riding motorcycles around the track it's a real disadvantage being obese. Riding at the limit all day is really physically taxing to me, and usually have to sit out the last 2 sessions of the day because I can't have the body control I need to be safe at the limit. I really want to change that. Plus riding a bike with 30+ kgs then everyone else I'll never win a race!

So I've just started eating clean. It's probably going to be the hardest thing I've ever done. It's only been 2 days so far. Can't complain.

I'm also doing Steve's 'Beginner Body Weight Workout' and I have some old rusted weight plates and a bar that a friend gave me. Hoping to start weight training once I can get through 3 rounds of Steve's circuit training without dying!

My simple goal is make it through the next 6 weeks.

Haven't chosen a class yet. Still working out where I fit into this whole thing. But it's gonna be fun. 

Dukati

• Like 2

Hiiiiiiiiiiii! Welcome on board!

Have you had a look around the forums and found your way around? 

How you use the forum is up to you, you can start a Battle log and use it to track your progress, you can take part in challenges, or you can simply soak up information and use it to improve your workouts/eating etc, or just hang out in the Chat Room. It's totally up to you. :)

I like to recommend the 4 Week Challenges to people because it makes you an active participant in the forum and let's you meet other members, form friendships and get some accountability on your progress. They're also a really good tool to help you reach your long term goals by breaking them down into smaller, short term goals which I think is important in keeping you motivated. There's a new one starting on the 17th if you fancy joining in?

Here's Spezzy's post explaining how the challenges work. 

It's a tough slog to just keep working away toward losing 50lbs (for example) and trying to change everything all at once - eating better, exercising more, cutting soda, stop smoking..... Arrrrrgh! 

But if you have a challenge to, say, cut out soda over 4 weeks. Then go on to do another challenge to eat vegetables with one meal every day for 4 weeks and to use the stairs at work instead of the lift. You can focus on making small changes at a time, and make them lasting changes! And all the while you're getting support and advice from your fellow nerds  Coz we're like that. :D 

The "Guilds" are really just a way of grouping people together who share interests. People post their challenge threads under whichever Guild they want to belong to or feel matches their goals. You can read all about the Guilds Here

Your first challenge should be posted in the Rebel section and then once you've completed that you can go on to post your challenges in whichever section you want though there's nothing stopping you from reading and posting in ANY section at any time. 

You can also take part (or suggest a new) PVP (person vs person) challenge or a PVE (person vs environment) with other members.

Thats my take on things, I hope I haven't killed you with a seriously loooooooong and boring post, lol! 

Ps I think it's really tacky having the name of a motorcycle company as your username. You'd never catch me doing something like that! :P 

Guzzi :D 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

You are off to a good start. Be sure to check around the forums to ask any questions you might have on eating clean or starting a bodyweight routine. I've found the members here to be incredibly helpful!

As Guzzi said, we're also in the planning week of the next challenge, so if that's something that excites you, feel free to give it a try! I personally love them and like to follow people's across the forums to see what all kinds of things people do.