Forums are back in action! ×

Major Stats Nerd Ready To Level Up

Hi guys. My name is Cory and I am 29 and from Gold Coast, Australia.

I have read Steve's blog for a while now and have just recently finished reading his book. I am inspired and excited to start levelling up my own life and start achieving all my wildest dreams. I have created my own character through the level up your life section of nerd fitness. I have also just joined the nerd fitness academy. 

Growing up I had good friends at school and was quite good at sports. However, I didn't do much with friends outside of school and when I wasn't playing sport I spent hours at home on statistics. I was a major stats nerd, especially with sports. I would find myself simulating all sorts of sport competitions and scenarios and just writing out numbers over and over. At a young age I was also quite into Mario and Donkey Kong and then later got into some sports games on PS3, however my stats was what I was obsessed with. Once I got older and discovered computers I started using them to further advance my love for stats and simulation. 

The last 10 years since school I have still been involved with stats from time to time but not as much. My wife and I had a son when I was 22 and then daughter when I was 24. I guess you could say since then I have always been planning and reading about levelling up my life but whenever I have started something I have always procrastinated and never kept it up for too long. Basically I have spent too much time planning and not enough time doing.

Anyway, I'm sure thats enough for now. I look forward to using this forum to further motivate me (and help motivate others) to follow through my levelling up my life and not procrastinating. I am going to think about what guild I should join and sign up to one of them and commit to the monthly challenges. I think I would most qualify for an assassin, or maybe a ranger or druid.

Thanks and look forward to interacting with you all. :)

Ahhhh, so you're an Underpants Collector are you? :P 

Well if you want to stop collecting and start acting then now may be your very opportunity! We are about to start another 4 week challenge (on the 17th, but the sub-forum is up now to post in) and you can join in! 

Here is Spezzy's post explaining how they work, and there's a link in the post to some goal ideas if you're stuck about what to do

You've said that you want to level up, but I'm interested to know what your long term goals are? Are you looking to improve your fitness, your diet, your health? Do you want to run marathons or lift weights, do callisthenics, or maybe yoga? 

Knowing what you want in the long term will help you set short term goals to work towards them. And knowing what those are will help us to help you  :) 

I shall leave you with some quotes that you might like. 

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" ~ Mark Twain

"I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail than attempt to do nothing and succeed" ~ Robert H Schuller

"The way to get started is to stop talking and start doing" ~ Walt Disney 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hey Guzzi 

Thanks for the great reply and it is nice to meet you.

Yes, you definitely could say I am an underpants collector :) that is a great article and it certainly hit home with me.

I am 100% committed to the next 4 week challenge starting on the 17th and will join in and post my first lot of goals.

Thanks for asking about my long terms goals, that's a good idea to think of them to enable me to set my 4 week challenges. 

My main priority is to improve my fitness and level up my life. My diet and health is pretty good, I eat well and have no real health problems. Although I am a vegetarian/ bordering on vegan, which I know most people in this forum may not agree with as it looks like most people are into paleo diets. 

I am mostly keen on developing my fitness with calisthenics, sprinting, playing more sport that I'm good at (tennis) and adventuring (rock climbing, hiking etc.). So, my fitness goals will be based around these activities.

The other thing I want to do is level up my life, which will be based around me not procrastinating and getting more things done around the house, achieving my travel goals (see different parts of the world with my family), setting up a website/ business to enable me to work for myself from home and enjoying more quality time with my kids (my goal is to finish work earlier everyday and taking my kids outside on adventures).

Thanks for the quotes they were a good motivation :) 

I'm glad you found some of my inane spouting useful! :D 

I have seen some reports (by which I mean I haven't actually seen any reports, but I watched a program on the telly) suggesting that as we age we need less and less meat in our diets and that a vegetarian, or vegan more specifically, diet actually made you more likely to live longer. 

There's a town in the USA somewhere where almost everyone is vegan (it's to do with their religion) and the inhabitants are among the healthiest people in the USA. There's been scientists studying them for a long time to find out why they have such low rates of all the usual 1st word diseases. 

I dont know how good you are at callisthenics and bodyweight exercises but you may find some good advice on Waldo's site Strength Unbound

Also, I'm surprised @SevenofSeven hasn't been by to say hi yet, she is another Aussie and an awesome lady. ;) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously